Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x - 2
x-2 heater

Hey all,

Anyone know how much it costs to add a heater to an 07 x-2 ? And, can it be done from the shop or are there 3rd party installers ?

thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Not terribly difficult to do. The heaters are from HeaterCraft which you can buy. The some what challenging aspect is installing the fitting on your engine for the hot water hoses and and running the air tubes to the vents.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Put one in my X2 this winter. 3 vent heater kit was $450. I did it myself, but I'd figure a days labor charge to install, depending on how complex, where you locate the vents, etc.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM
MC Maniac

Heater install location on mine, under the seat behind the driver, water tie in pic, and hot tubes by the cupholders each side (3rd vent under dash) and duct/hose routing under the back seat.

Most OEM installs put the hot tubes down in the fiberglass side panels by the floor and mount the heater/fan under the dash.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2 - 350MCX
Thrall.great response - thanks - have looked at Heater Craft 300H - 3
a bit confused with the motor bits...... would you be good enough to post a close up of the "engine" bits - so i can see what is involved
thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
MC Maniac

I don't have any pics of the engine "bits" hahaha, but it's fairly simple. The hose with the ball valve (and red shower water line Tee'd off of it) is the supply line for the heater. The Heatercraft kit comes with the fitting, just unscrew the plug in the intake manifold and screw in the male thread/hose barb fitting. I added the valve to be able to shut the hot water off to the heater if there was a leak, or when it's real hot and heater is not needed at all.
The return line from the heater goes to a Tee into the raw water pickup line and there's a Y that you can buy to use in place of a tee that improves flow/heat. Check out Skidim's website for the kit and the "Y". I ended up using a T from my shower kit in lieu of the expensive Y fitting and get good heat.
Heater hose is all 5/8" and raw water line is 1-1/4". Any extra fittings or valves you might need can be had at a good hardware store, plumbing supply, or landscaping irrigation supply house.
Are you looking at install in a new hull X2?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

07......pickle
thanks for that - what threw me was the red line......... "thought" it was a red shower line coming in and the ball valve........clever and you are right - the thing would still be feeding hot air so you need to turn it off......
you are right about the y.......gives a smoother flow than a T piece
was looking at the aquatik shower kit - we do the majority of our boating on the river (Murray River - Echuca Australia) and it would be great to be able to wash of the feet

thanks Thrall
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
MC Maniac

FWIW, I used a 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 5/8 tee that was supposed to be for the cold water supply for my shower kit for the return line from the heater core and get plenty of flow/hot air. Water here was still 65-66deg F on the 4th of July and the heater pumped plenty of warm air with the engine at an idle.
The heater kit has a 3 speed fan and the swich comes with it. Our boats are pre wired for a heater switch (at least mine was) in the dash. I used med and high on that 2 position switch. Figured low speed wasn't really worth it if you're cold.
If you're interested in putting the hot tubes by the cupholders like I did, you need the exact size hole saw for the outlets, 4" IIRC just fits and any bigger and you end up cutting the cupholder base in half, it's only like 4-1/2" wide. Also have to take apart the hot tubes, 2 little screws and put a "bend" from the top to bottom half of the piece so it can fit up against the side of the hull. Think I rotated the top 90 deg from where it was screwed together and re-drilled the screws in to make it stay together in that shape. I'm much happier with that placement than down near the floor. Looks cleaner IMO and only had to trim some hidden fiberglass vs cutting into exposed 'glass.
Shower was not too bad to install except mounting the pump was a bit of a pain you can sse where I mounted it, rear, starboard side in the engine pic. I wanted to minimize how many splices I put in different cooling hoses, so I ran the hot water off of the heater hose as pictured and the cold water tee'd into the 3/8" hose that feeds the prop shaft seal. I get plenty of hot and cold water from these locations.
Mounted the mixing valve and sprayer here.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

the heater switch is good - was not aware how many spots on the dial so it is logical that you would go med/high to get heat and it keeps it looking original.....
the hot tubes place is great.......... they are out of the way and can be reached easily enough without "snagging" other things (looked at a friends mal (banish that word) and his tubes come out from near the rear at floor level........a damn nuisance when tube is out!
the shower is a great install......looks OEM!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MB Sport, Boss 210, 1999, PCM 5.8
Aquatek Shower

I have an Aquatek shower and it stopped workingh. I checked the line and power is getting to the pump. The problem is that my shower pump is mounted on the starboard side between the fuel cell and the hull and I can not get it out to test the pump itself. Since I did not install this pump I have no idea how to get it out of the mounting bracket. Does anybody know how this pump is typically mounted?

Randy