Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Mastercraft prostar 200, Mercury 200
Angry CopyCat Covers............................

Just thought I would post a response to my experience with CopyCat Covers..... I heard about them on this forum and from the sounds of it there haven't been alot of people trying it out so i thought i would give it a try.....

Well for starters I wanted the front bench seat, and helm seat covers redone.... Quote was $350 for both.... Sounded good to me, they were very convincing on the phone when i talked to them..... They told me it would take 3-6 weeks for a lead time once they received the old skins.....

Well lets just say 4-6 weeks turned into a solid 10 going on 11 weeks by the time i received my new skins..... I went to install them and they didn't fit...... They were a both a couple inches to small..... No way to stretch and make it work....

I called them and told them the situation and they said just to send them back and they would take care of them for me... Sounded good..... Well I get an email about 4 days later and they said they received the skins, double checked the measurements and they did everything correct through them in a box with the old skins and sent them back to me without even calling me to tell me the situation...... There's nothing they can do now..... No refund, not even a partial refund.... They closed the doors on me!!! I am pissed about there service.... The Vinyl had to of shrunk within that 10week time frame..... I just thought I would post a thread for all of you who are thinking about sending them to CopyCat Covers...... I highly advise all to stay away from this company..... Very unprofessional!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Did you heat the skins up and stretch them?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Pro Star 190, 1990, Ford 351
Typically you can use a steamer to expand the covers so they fit better. Once they are free of steam they will shrink to size.

Trying steaming them or heating them up.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Sounds like they should fit. I am surprised about your wait time for the skins...I just sent them mine and they are sending back the new ones today; turn around time was just 2 weeks.

I will update regarding fit etc. when I start installing.

Maybe try taking your skins to a local shop and see if they can install them for you. I asked at a shop up here (Toronto, Canada) and a guy was willing to install them for a couple of hundred bucks.

Jimn, has commented that you really need a steamer in order to properly stretch and install new vinyl.

Anyhow, keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
TT Regular

Sounds good, thanks for the advise....... My plan is to heat them up this time and try to get them to fit....... I might have to shave some of the foam off the helm seat to get it to work..... I know vinyl will stretch with heat but the new one's have shrunk drastically...... The bench seat is is 32" one way and 34" the other..... The skin is 32" by 31"....... i'm going to have to cut the base down to get it to work..... I'll keep you guys posted once i get a chance on friday to go at them again...... Keep the inputs coming....
Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
TT Regular

Here is a picture of the bench seat..... The base measures 32" one way and 34" the other..... When you measure the skin it measures 32" one way and 31" the other..... You be the judge on whether it will be able to stretch and look perfect....... My plan is to cut the board down some with the help of some heat to stretch the vinyl..........
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
Are they the same size as the old skins?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Did you try to install them yet? Did you heat them when you did? Sorry to hear about the delay in shipping the skins, thats a bummer. I wonder if anyone else has had the same issues as you? Read a couple other threads about Copy Cat and they all seemed to be very pleased. Keep us updated.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Moomba Mobius LSV 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhollow View Post
Are they the same size as the old skins?
That's the real question
Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
TT Regular

Supposedly they are the same size as the old skins...... I haven't compared them myself yet, won't get to it until friday..... I haven't tried heating them up yet, but it won't do any good when the skin is that much smaller than the base...... Its gonna be an interesting time come friday, to see how it turns out.....