Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Smile Fae

I was out today for the first time after installing my Fresh Air Exhaust. It tell ya, if there are any R&D guys from Mastercraft listening...make this an option on your boats.

First of all, it really brought the sound level of the exhaust down. Now I love the sound of the 400 horses rumbling, but after a whole day of it...well, it starts to wear on me.

Secondly, when surfing I wasn't sucking in any exhaust fumes!! What difference in enjoyability this made! Before I was getting a headache from the fumes but today I didn't smell them even once.

I didn't notice any performance issues...as has been discussed at length in other posts...but I am also not one to need to squeeze every last horse, RPM or MPH out of the boat and fine tune it to that degree.

No, I'm no salesman for this product but I am certainly sold on it. With all of the known issues around CO poisoning and the fact that these boats are used (quite often) for surfing behind...I think MC should go beyond putting on numerous warning stickers and offer an optional piece of equipment that reduces the health risks.

Well, that's my 2 cents....
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 X2
Do you happen to have the attitude adjustment plate? I was thinking about adding an FAE, but I don't know how it would work around that.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Arrow

You mean this thing...>>FAE WEbsite<<Looks cool. Next time I'm out I'll see if ai'm smelling too much exhaust. so what you are saying is that even while underway, while stitting on the swim platform, one doesn't smell any exhaust?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
SkiBoatDeaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Talking about warning's Does anyone know where to get the warning stickers that go in the back of the boat?

The ones you can barely see here?

Last edited by MariStar-Man; 06-16-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
You mean this thing...>>FAE WEbsite<<Looks cool. Next time I'm out I'll see if ai'm smelling too much exhaust. so what you are saying is that even while underway, while stitting on the swim platform, one doesn't smell any exhaust?

I didn't smell any exhaust at any time will under way or sitting still.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
I was out today for the first time after installing my Fresh Air Exhaust. It tell ya, if there are any R&D guys from Mastercraft listening...make this an option on your boats.

First of all, it really brought the sound level of the exhaust down. Now I love the sound of the 400 horses rumbling, but after a whole day of it...well, it starts to wear on me.

Secondly, when surfing I wasn't sucking in any exhaust fumes!! What difference in enjoyability this made! Before I was getting a headache from the fumes but today I didn't smell them even once.

I didn't notice any performance issues...as has been discussed at length in other posts...but I am also not one to need to squeeze every last horse, RPM or MPH out of the boat and fine tune it to that degree.

No, I'm no salesman for this product but I am certainly sold on it. With all of the known issues around CO poisoning and the fact that these boats are used (quite often) for surfing behind...I think MC should go beyond putting on numerous warning stickers and offer an optional piece of equipment that reduces the health risks.

Well, that's my 2 cents....
Well said and I totally agree. I have had a FAE on my MC for over 2 years without a problem. I agree that MC should consider offering this as an option.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
Well said and I totally agree. I have had a FAE on my MC for over 2 years without a problem. I agree that MC should consider offering this as an option.
Absolutely. I agree.

Just because you don't smell it does not mean you are not getting it. Remember that CO is odorless and invisible. In boats that aren't burning any oil, you are not going to smell your exhaust much.

On my last boat, the first thing I noticed is the noise the boat makes as it goes through the water at surf speeds. Sort of a whooshing noise. Never heard it before because of the engine.

Anyone ever put one on top of the MC Silentmaster exhaust with an 8.1L engine? I have some concern about further restricting the exhaust flow, and that is the only reason I have not done it yet on this boat.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
SkiBoatDeaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Talking about warning's Does anyone know where to get the warning stickers that go in the back of the boat?

The ones you can barely see here?

My boat is a 1998 and MC sent me new/updated CO Poisioning stickers either last year or the year before. I didn't ask for them, they just arrived. I never did put them on my boat. I'll bet if you contacted them, they would send them to you.

Maybe I'll dig them up and put them on this year.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
My boat is a 1998 and MC sent me new/updated CO Poisioning stickers either last year or the year before. I didn't ask for them, they just arrived. I never did put them on my boat. I'll bet if you contacted them, they would send them to you.

Maybe I'll dig them up and put them on this year.
Maybe I'll get a set in the mail, since mine got "destroyed" when I polished out the transom.
If I get them I'll send them to you MS man.
Maybe you could get multiple sets and put them all around the boat.............never can be too safe you know.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
Just because you don't smell it does not mean you are not getting it. Remember that CO is odorless and invisible. In boats that aren't burning any oil, you are not going to smell your exhaust much.
Well, I think the human can still smell unburned hydrocarbons in normal exhaust flow, but perhaps the "smell" threshold is not below the point at which CO poisoning can occur. Maybe it is like phosphine gas...by the time you actually smell it, it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
Anyone ever put one on top of the MC Silentmaster exhaust with an 8.1L engine? I have some concern about further restricting the exhaust flow, and that is the only reason I have not done it yet on this boat.
Anyone?

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874