Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '95 190 proStar/Vette inj.
steering pulls to da right

95 p'star 190,- new to inboards,- no dealer within 500 miles, -decent boat i think, just needs a little (a lot of) attention..........
the craft pulls to the right, the steering is stiff, and the wheel is off by 90degrees, (although rudder, cable, and pivot have been greased) (1) are these related problems, (2) solutions?suggestions?
I live in the middle of B.C.,............recomendations for a dealer?
Where might i find a workshop manual &/or parts manual for my new toy?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Welcome aboard!

The steering is OK with the right hand tug... It should do that.

As for a dealer in BC? :idunno:

A lot of folks here use www.skidim.com for parts and such. There is a ton of info on the board here to do about anything one would want to in the absense of a dealer....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 06-28-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
mine does the same, it just makes me pay attention.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Welcome!
As others have said, the steering sounds ok.
The download section has a 91-93 manual that should get you started in the right direction. If you use the contact MasterCraft link on the main page thay can probobly help you with a manual as well.

Yes, skidim.com is a good source for parts as well as advise. There are a number of MasterCraft dealers that use this website and many of them will ship the parts you need to you.

You will find that this site can provide you with help on most anything you need.

By the way, if you haven't found out already, these boats don't steer well in reverse.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
The steering is fine. It does that so you will have constant tension and no play in the wheel while pulling through the course or while maintaining a straight line.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:44 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Look at the rear (starboard) trailing edge of your rudder. Sounds like the P.O. took a belt sander to it to put a little pull into the boat. Mine came with that feature. The point is to make it easier to hold straight with a skier in tow. Once you get used to it, in my experience, you'll not only wonder what you did without it, but driving a boat without torqued steering will drive you nuts.

Welcome to the board.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
I was wondering about this myself. I have been skiing behind my PS 190 for a few weeks now and the one complaint that I have is that it is difficult to maintain a straight line in the slalom course. The steering does not pull to one side or the other at all and what I'm reading on some of the previous posts is that it should. Does this make it easier to maintain a straight line in the slalom course?

Would love to know.

Thanks

Bruce
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Yes, very much so.
This will help if your steering is old and has more slop too. The idea is that you are applying more or less pressure against the steering wheel when driving rather than this all the time:

Just sand or file a bit of the trailing edge of the desired side of the rudder at a time and lake test it. you want more pull, you take more material off until you reach the desired amount of "rudder torque"
Old 06-29-2005, 04:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
What Ric said. I'll add that a little goes a long way. Just a tiny bit along the entire trailing edge of one side of the rudder. If you want it to pull right, do the right trailing edge. Left, do the left trailing edge.

Just do a tiny bit, then test it. Repeat until it's how you like it.

When you're done, don't expect to be able to pull a "look Ma, no hands" while at speed.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbrown
95 p'star 190,- new to inboards,- no dealer within 500 miles, -decent boat i think, just needs a little (a lot of) attention..........
the craft pulls to the right, the steering is stiff, and the wheel is off by 90degrees, (although rudder, cable, and pivot have been greased) (1) are these related problems, (2) solutions?suggestions?
I live in the middle of B.C.,............recomendations for a dealer?
Where might i find a workshop manual &/or parts manual for my new toy?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
sounds like your steering is set up the way it should be. Where in BC are you located ? would these guy's work for you? http://www.rayburns.com/newboats/mastercraft.html