Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 02:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 S&S
83' S&S or 87' Pro - Worth the Extra $$

I want to say hello it everyone. This is my first post to hopefully a new MC owner. I've been looking for a decent cheap ski boat to run the river around us and just play with the family. Nothing fancy.

I found an cheap $2,400, OK condition 83' S&S 700 hrs. The boat had been stored for a while 3-4 years. Engine winterized by the marina. The boat is dirty. Fiberglass stringers, however one of the side floor boards may be delaminated which concerns me a bit. Engine spins freely however the guy who is being paid to sell it for doesn't have the keys to try to start. Overall the hull is in good condition nothing major, doesn't look abused or heavily worn. Good amount of oxidation and the decals are cracked. Interior relatively new. Really nice trailer. Not a bad boat, it is just typical of a boat of this age. A healthy amount of cleaning and polishing would probably do wonders.

I also found a 87' Prostar 450 hrs. Guy will take $5,500. Looks nice from the pics. Seams on the interior have some cracks mostly on the rear bench.

I just need some help deciding if the newer boat is worth the additional $3,100 bucks. Such a tough call.

I'm favoring the cheap 83' to see how much we use it and just not to worry about it. In a few years can always get something nicer. I'm just concerned about getting nickel and dimed to death to a point where I could of bought something better. Guess this could always happen.

Thanks for your advise.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
In my opinion the probability of being nickeled and dimed is about equal between the 2 boats.

Based on that, I would go with the 83. Also, again in my opinion the 83 has a the more unique classic style.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Re the '83: The floor is delaminating, and you don't know if the engine runs? Sort of answers your own question, doesn't it? Both hulls have the advantage of no-wood construction. If you didn't like the '87 you could sell it for the same money you paid.

Last edited by Miss Rita; 05-29-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well, if putting the boat in the the water, driving it around and testing it thoroughly isn't an option on the 83, then the decision should be an obvious one. Walk away. If the seller is serious about selling, they'll demonstrate to your satisfaction that the boat is shipshape.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars & Stripes - SuperSlot 440 V8
I would also go with the '83. The hulls are almost identical. It sounds like it needs the work mine did. It took me about 60 hours to completely restore it. As far as the key... on my '83, my brother took off with my key when he left the lake a couple of weeks ago and I just used the small key to the trailer lock and jiggled it around a little bit and it turned and I was able to use that key the rest of the day.. I bet you could do the same with yours. Also, you could just disconnect the wires from the ignition switch and start it manually. You will definitely need to use starting fluid since it has been sitting a while.... either boat sounds great though! Good luck!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
If it where me I would buy the "83" you can still get everthing you need for the boat. There not to bad to fix up. I bought an "80" and restored. I am all for the the older MC. Good luck. hope to see some pic's of the one you buy.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great replies. Still undecided.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:59 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
My suggestion of going with the 83 was based on the being able to get the keys and taking it for a test drive, or at least hear it run.
On a 83, it is "fairly easy" to start without the key.
The ignition wires are right behind the dash......
Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 205v mcx (for sale) , 2010 X25 (awaiting delivery)
If you are just looking for a boat to have fun with and don't feel like taking on a potential restoration, I'd suggest the 87, assuming it runs as well as it appears. For that price, you shouldn't lose any $$$ if you decide to sell it....on the other hand if the 83 floor is delaminated because water got in under the floor and froze, you could have more potential damage under the floor. Not to mention...if they won't start it for you, what may be hiding....cracked block? bad trans? who knows? (certainly not you). If any of that happens, you will likely have a harder time getting your cash back from a sale, or you are in for a restoration, or at least some significant repairs.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well made a decision or kind of one. Told the guy with the 83' that I wasn't interested if he couldn't at least get it started. He had no interest and just wanted to flip it. He was really mad that I was backing out, can't blame him, I just don't want to take the risk. Like you said I'm really not ready for a restoration project. Played that game years ago with a 18' 1956' Lyman.

Working on the 87'. Do you think $5,500 is a good deal on an 87' w/ 430 hrs?