Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Jordan Wood

Tristar, Maristar or Prostar

I am about to purchase a Mastercraft in the next couple of months, hopefully. Somebody please tell me what boat gives the best wake for wakeboarding; Tristar, Maristar, or Prostar. I know I'm getting at least a 22' boat, but can't afford anything newer than early 90s. I thought it was the Tristar. The Tristar 220 88-92 year model is what I think I want.

Thanks

Jordan
Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Prostars never came that long. 20'6" for the 205 was about the longest.
Tristars lose a bit of interior room due to the swimstep being a part of the hull........ room for fat sacks.
So Maristar would probably be the best. They were made up to 24'. Inboard direct drives till about 1995, then their v-drives. Bolt on swimstep, tons of room in the boat for friends & fat sacks.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Prostar 205s were 20'5" from 92 to 95 and 20'7" thereafter. Prostar 209s were about 20'9" if memory serves. But it sounds like you're looking at older boats.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 95 Prosport 205
I had a 88 tri-star that had a nice wake. If you add fat sacks then it gets even better. You don't have much room in the tri-star like was said due to the built in platform. Although the platform is the thing I miss the most about that boat. The tri-star is no where close to 22' long to my knowledge, at least mine wasn't. Never rode behind a mari-star so can't say on that. Prostars throw a nice wake and I think the first couple of years Mastercraft put out "wakeboard" boats they just used the prostar 205 hull and added a tower. I could be wrong about that but I think I read that somewhere. Like east tx said though, they are not 22', but are great boats IMHO. Which ever you choose you will be happy cause it's a MASTERCRAFT!!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2 Switch Blue and White
Jordan, Good luck on the search. Your profile did not show your location, but boat trader on line is a great place to start your search. I found the following while surfing this morning. The boat is at the dealer I use, so I'd be happy to look at it if you would like, shoot me a PM..http://www.boattraderonline.com/cadd...3/79772753.htm
Old 07-04-2005, 07:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseeski
I had a 88 tri-star that had a nice wake. If you add fat sacks then it gets even better. You don't have much room in the tri-star like was said due to the built in platform. Although the platform is the thing I miss the most about that boat. The tri-star is no where close to 22' long to my knowledge, at least mine wasn't. Never rode behind a mari-star so can't say on that. Prostars throw a nice wake and I think the first couple of years Mastercraft put out "wakeboard" boats they just used the prostar 205 hull and added a tower. I could be wrong about that but I think I read that somewhere. Like east tx said though, they are not 22', but are great boats IMHO. Which ever you choose you will be happy cause it's a MASTERCRAFT!!

The majority of tristars were the 19' 190 model.. The 220? model was 22' but I believe they are pretty rare, not valuable rare, just not many made.. They came in two platforms, the walk around and the regular open bow. Walk around is a little different as the walk area to the open bow is over to one side.. Kinda bass boat looking.... I do not believe a close bow was available in the 22' TriStar..

The TriStar ski platform was built in to the hull, so you lost close to 2' of interior length, but the TriStar is wider, by 6" I think??? In the 190 Tristar the difference in interior length is very noticable... You could also get a Passenger swivel seat in the 190 versus a backwards seating arrangement as in most comp boats... I believe there was a different model name for this type of seating but a senior moment has affected my memory......

The 190 is not a rough water boat.. It isnt a medium water boat either......
Old 07-04-2005, 08:15 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
190 and wakeboarding? I recently slalomed behind an X-9 and I can tell you I don't think I could sink my 190 and get that big of a wake. I believe the 220V was made around then was it not? V-Drive Maristar would be my choice. If $ are a concern go with the Tristar. You can find them in very nice shape for a very good price. I have ski'd (slalom) behind the Tristar and it was decent. I don't know that decent means wakeboard decent. No substitute for cubic inches, size does matter and I believe the Maristar would do a better job. It is a very cool ride. I could be wrong. Leroy has a Maristar and I believe he could help you.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Leroy

Definitely the Maristar (father of the x-boats) would be the best wake for wakeboarding.Give a few more details of what you want if you would like an "expert panel" helping you find your dream vessel! I find it amazing at what people can find on this board!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Jordan Wood

Ok, Maristar

Sounds like the Maristar is what I would want. My dream boat would be one of the x-stars, but, I don't think I have quite enough money at my age to be buying that kind of boat. Something in the range of 13-15 grand would be what I could handle. A Maristar about 22' with enough seating for my five brothers, three sisters, and of course mom and dad would be great. I have looked everywhere I can think of here in Georgia, but can not find one. I know it's hard to find one this time of year. So hopefully by the end of the season one will pop up. Thanks for the help and if ya'll hear of one close to GA let me know.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Where are you at in Georgia?

I have an 89 Tristar and it is miserable in rough water, but with the wider hull and some ballast it throws up a sick wake. Of course this is what I am told as I don't wakeboard but have heard that it was ahead of its time as far as wake at 18-20 mph.