Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Maristar 200 VRS
Just a reminder - Change your impeller

I thought about skipping it this year. Fortunately I decided I had better do it. Pulled out the old one and about half the fins were cracked or had some small chunks out of them.

I did do something different this time and took the entire pump assembly off of the pulley. This seemed way easier than trying to deal with it still mounted on a V-drive. Should I be worried about messing anything up, by doing it this way?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 PS197 w/310TBI previous 1994 Prostar 205 w/LT1
Good advice
I thought I would skip changing the impellor this year and after a minor overheat situation I pulled it and found one of the fins missing. I believe that the manufacturers are making impellors less hardy now than they used to and charging more for them. Up to a couple of years ago i used to get at least 2 seasons from an impellor no problem.

i don't know about pulling the pump assembly, I would think it might be easier to get an impellor puller. I have a mid engine set up and can pull it with a pair of needle nose channel locks.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaugler View Post
I thought about skipping it this year. Fortunately I decided I had better do it. Pulled out the old one and about half the fins were cracked or had some small chunks out of them.

I did do something different this time and took the entire pump assembly off of the pulley. This seemed way easier than trying to deal with it still mounted on a V-drive. Should I be worried about messing anything up, by doing it this way?
I hate to admit it but this was me 2 weeks ago because I didn't have a spare on board, it was 6:30 am and there were no boats around until zodiac man came and offered a pull, which didn't turn out to be an easy thing, then the guy in the sea ray came over and offered to take over.

I believe in karma and we were on the lake last weekend and this guy was in the same position I was in the weekend before, so we gave him a tow back to the ramp. What comes around goes around.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I've pulled out alot of perfectly good impellers and replaced them, annually, but 2 yrs ago, I pulled my imp out, maybe 40 hrs on it and it was missing a couple fins. Cheap insurance.
And good on ya Coz. I've pulled quite a few dead boats in for people. Hoping I've banked up enough credits to never need a tow myself!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
I've pulled out alot of perfectly good impellers and replaced them, annually, but 2 yrs ago, I pulled my imp out, maybe 40 hrs on it and it was missing a couple fins. Cheap insurance.
And good on ya Coz. I've pulled quite a few dead boats in for people. Hoping I've banked up enough credits to never need a tow myself!
When I opened my cover all the fins were there but the metal that's housed by the rubber/fins broke free so the metal was spinning but the fins didn't. Pulled it out and it still looked brand new but the flanged metal would spin inside the impeller so it wouldn't turn the fins, and it had about 88 hours. Has this happened to anyone? I hear of fins comming off but not what happened to me.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft PS 205 1997
Impeller easy removal and install tip

After struggling with the paint can openers, needle nose pliers etc to remove the impeller and trying to compress and turn it to install....I tried spraying WD40 in the impeller housing and coating the impeller with WD40 before removing and installing. Impeller slides right out and slides right in....now a 5 minute job vs. a 15 - 20 minute struggle.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblaida View Post
After struggling with the paint can openers, needle nose pliers etc to remove the impeller and trying to compress and turn it to install....I tried spraying WD40 in the impeller housing and coating the impeller with WD40 before removing and installing. Impeller slides right out and slides right in....now a 5 minute job vs. a 15 - 20 minute struggle.
Just an FYI: petroleum based products will cut the life of your impeller, says right on the box. Next time use glycerine or dishsoap, works better than anything else and is safe.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 RTP
I'm now on the 'replace the impeller every year' wagon. My boat ate one yesterday. Not only did it cut into my ride time, but I also had to get towed in by a flat bottom boat with a 25 horse Johnson. Not exactly what you want to see as a MC owner. New impeller is going in today, and a spare is going in the glove box.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarplease View Post
Not only did it cut into my ride time, but I also had to get towed in by a flat bottom boat with a 25 horse Johnson. .
When the zodiac with the johnson 25 was pulling us we were laying on the floor so no one would see us
Old 06-04-2010, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
When the zodiac with the johnson 25 was pulling us we were laying on the floor so no one would see us
haha I would have done the same thing, but luckily we were the only two boats on the lake.

Tags
impellar