Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
Optima Blue Top Frustration

after this weekend I will be taking back my third Optima Blue top for a warranty replacement. They will not hold a charge for more than a few hours. Driving me crazy. Alternator is charging fine, I put a 10 amp charger on it and it seems to charge fine then loses it sitting there. Same if I put it on the trickle charger. It will start fine once I get it started for the day but each morning I have to put the charger back on.

Only thing on in the boat is the auto bilge so I doubt that is draining it.

Anyone else ever had a problem like this?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Mine only lasted 9 months. I won't buy another.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Sear platnum batteries are made by Odessey are very good. I would have the boat checked for a draw on the battery to be sure the problem is with the battery.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
2nd the sears platinum AGM for starter battery. Had a bluetop and it was junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I've had a blue top now for 2 years, no problems. I have 2 amps drawing off of it too.

Must be the luck of the draw. I've had a red top in my 66 Mustang track car now for 6 years and it's still OK.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I had 3 red tops in my old boat (no stereo really, just a starting battery). The first 2 lasted 2 years each and then wouldn't take a charge. Both replaced under warranty. Used the 3rd one for 1 season in my old boat and then switched it to my old Jeep. At the time I swore I'd never buy another Optima. Now that 3rd battery is going on 3 years old in the Jeep that never gets driven, sits outside alot, even in the winter, never maintain the battery, only start the Jeep long enough to move the snow from around it or push the boat in/out of the garage, and it works great.
Just got a Optima Blue Top for a start battery in the new boat a few months ago. So far, so good. It was $100 cheaper than the Odyssey I have for my house battery and available locally when I needed it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Going on second year with Blue tops. Haven't done a thing to them and have had no issues. Hoping for the best.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Optima

I had no issues with Optima battery's until this year 2009 / 2010. I replaced 3 Blue Tops. 1 in the boat ( only 1 year old ) and 2 in my Rx7. No issue with current drain in the boat, I think the Sterio was to large for the battery capacity of the Blue Top and the constant discharge and recharge form the altenator killed the battery.

I went to 2 much larger interstate sealed batteries and a really good conditioner / charger in the boat.

I think the car was the same type deal, very large system only so much the altenaotr can do....

We'll see if the other brand holds up this year.

Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 03:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
My first one was good for a season before I killed it leaving something on and couldn't get it to recover. My second one drained and I couldn't figure out why, but I was able to get it to recover doing the inline charge trick with my truck and then topping it off with my trickle charger. I had tried to charge it using a normal charger, but it kept overloading and shutting off and I didn't want to spring for the special charger they supposedly need.

So far, it appears that I recovered the cells successfully as the battery held charge all winter and started the boat fine when I pulled it out last week to dewinterize. The first test is to see if it drains while hooked up in the boat for 3 weeks without being run. I'm concerned about it. If this one goes, I'm gonna switch to an Interstate.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
EarmarkMarine

We've got boat owners that are well into their 4th year with Optima Blue Tops and still going strong.

A Blue Top Group 34 is a short battery, smaller and lighter than a Group 24, and only has 55 amp/hours capacity.

Any battery that cycles deeper will provide fewer total cycles. So have enough reserve capacity that the batteries don't fall below 12 volts. And get a real smart multi-stage dual-bank charger that is equal to at least 10 percent of the total amp/hours capacity. Don't depend on trickle/tender chargers (okay for UTV, ATV, motorcycle, 3rd cars, etc, with starting batteries) and don't depend solely on your alternator.

We haven't encountered a bad line of batteries in our experience (several hundred boat installs per year), just bad charging schemes and disciplines.

Btw, if you're using an ACR/VSR you're even more dependent on an AC shore charger for restoration.

You can generally judge a battery's capacity by weight. Regardless of specs the lighter batteries don't last as long.

David
Earmark Marine