Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Leroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertT
Let me ask you all this. What is the absolute best way to get back to a downed rider quickly, safely, and without swamping the boat?
When someone drops, look around (should already know what is around, but look anyway), turn as quickly as you can, with skiers safety in mind, keep power on until across your wakes (or else you may scoop up some lake water) and then idle down. Pull up with skier on the drivers side. Slight reverse will stop the boat with the platform by the skier, assuming they are coming in.

Great job on getting and learning all of this! 40 hours is a good season for me!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Welcome Robert
Where do you ski?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
When someone drops, look around (should already know what is around, but look anyway), turn as quickly as you can, with skiers safety in mind, keep power on until across your wakes (or else you may scoop up some lake water) and then idle down. Pull up with skier on the drivers side. Slight reverse will stop the boat with the platform by the skier, assuming they are coming in.

Great job on getting and learning all of this! 40 hours is a good season for me!

If the rider plans on getting back up I have always done differently. It may be different on your lakes but on ours, there is hardly anyone so what I always do is when they fall, i stop the boat, then idle and turn because if i turn while still going, it will send rollers all across the lake that are unwanted.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:01 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
[quote=stevo137]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo

This brings up an interesting subject...if you're in the water and a boat or PWC is approaching, what do you do? Some guys will wave their arms, but I prefer to splash the water. You can throw water into the air a lot higher than you can wave your arms.

If I see that there is even a chance of one of them getting close, I power turn or whatever it takes to get back to protect the person in the water.
Holding a ski as high as possible is another option for the skier until the boat returns.

Last Sunday I fell (again) and a PWC with three young girls on it was bearing down on me. I splashed water in the air and she immediately turned away from my direction. I tell my son to do the same although he does not seem to fall as much as I ...Hmmmmm?

Steve
Old 06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Leroy

Good point Parks!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X7, MCX
Hahaha

No, I didn't win the lottery. I have been fairly lucky in the construction industry. Now that I think about it, nobody that has a Mastercraft or similar boat is an "average joe".

I do need a few pictures. I will try to post a couple.

Thanks for all of the input guys and gals, I think we are on the right track. I am fairly adamant about safety on the lake, it scares me. I mean, if you go to a lake a few times a year, its one thing. If you are out almost every night, the odds of a mishap are clearly much higher. I plan on living here forever, so it is mandatory to be diligent at all times in my opinion. One moment, in an instant, everything can be over. I always think about the guy who put his ten year old son into a dock on a tube...killing him instantly. It wasn't on my lake, but at the Ozarks. It just makes me sick to think about.

From what I have seen, the inboard guys are all fairly good drivers and conscientious, followed by the pontoons, followed by the runabouts, followed by the deck boats. No PWCs are allowed on our lake, nor is ballast systems...which is a good think I think.

Somebody asked where I am...Lake St. Louis Missouri. If anyone is around, give me a shout.

You know, I didn't know anything about inboards other than what I read. I bought Mastercraft for the dealer, the fact that its the perfect boat for me was just the kicker.

I had a perfect pass issue when I bought it, the dealer came to my dock, made the adjustments, took it out for a test ride to confirm everything was perfect, all while I was at work. Dockside service gotta love that.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
You know, another issue when your going to pick up your downed skier...... what if their hurt? Do you just casually idle back, being careful to not create any rollers, THEN find out they can't get their breath? If I think there is any chance of them being hurt, I hustle back to where I can see how their doing. Not necessarily a power turn & speed back, but it's not waiting for 2 rollers to pass & then casually idling back either.
As a skier, I usually try to give a hands up that I'm OK so the driver knows whats going on.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
You know, another issue when your going to pick up your downed skier...... what if their hurt? Do you just casually idle back, being careful to not create any rollers, THEN find out they can't get their breath? If I think there is any chance of them being hurt, I hustle back to where I can see how their doing. Not necessarily a power turn & speed back, but it's not waiting for 2 rollers to pass & then casually idling back either.
As a skier, I usually try to give a hands up that I'm OK so the driver knows whats going on.
If there is no ok signal, then we get back to them quickly. We use just a hand in the air to signal they are OK. If we dont see one, then we do what you do.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X7, MCX
Same thing we are trying to implement. Put your hand up to signal that you are ok and so others can see you as well. If you don't, we try to hurry back. If they just forgot to give us an OK signal, they get shot with the water cannon

One of the things that keeps screwing up my friends and I is that the virtually universal signal for "OK" is tapping your head making a large "O". With skiers, that means return to dock I guess. I boat with a lot of my scuba/whitewater/military friends who are all fairly well trained rescue personnel who all use the universal signal of tapping the top of your head to say "I am OK" or to ask "are you OK.

It was kind of a funny deal, we took out a neighbor who skis, and he looked like he was scared crapless while boarding. Turns out he was just trying to pee. Anyway, I tapped my head asking "are you OK?" (again, universal signal I thought). He looked at me like I was crazy, and shook his head no. We had just left the dock. Well, of course, I assumed that he was hurt or something....dropped him....and all of us were ready for whatever only to get back to the rider who cannot figure out why we wanted him to go to the dock after ten seconds of riding. We laughed our arses off for a long time over that one. Turns out that he yelled hit it before he was done pissing and everything clamped down when he got up...I learned the language barrier the hard way on that one
Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X5 a.k.a."Lil Mule"
Maristar210 - you're cracking me up with the falling bit. lol

Hand on the head means I'm getting in the boat for our crew...same thing, basically. Like others said, if you take a hard fall put a hand in the air to let the boat know you're okay.

You said you put 40 hours on your X-7 in one month - I would learn how to change my oil and tranny fluid....unless you'll be having someone come to the house for service. It's not difficult and beats having to take the boat out and trailer to the shop.

I like to change my oil every 30-40 hours and my tranny fluid about every other oil change (bring on the anal jokes - lol). And if you ever need advice on maintenence, there are plenty of good guys willing to help on these forums.