Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
[quote=Davo].

This brings up an interesting subject...if you're in the water and a boat or PWC is approaching, what do you do? Some guys will wave their arms, but I prefer to splash the water. You can throw water into the air a lot higher than you can wave your arms.

If I see that there is even a chance of one of them getting close, I power turn or whatever it takes to get back to protect the person in the water.
Holding a ski as high as possible is another option for the skier until the boat returns.

Last edited by stevo137; 06-28-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I guess I should clarify. If I'm the skier, I hold the ski up. If I'm the boat driver, I put that boat between my downed rider and the oncoming traffic ASAP smooth water be damned.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
I agree with the others. It's your boat, they're your rules and anyone who doesn't obey them doesn't drive. Of course, there's definitely a right way and a wrong way to tell them; just use a lot of tact and be nice about it.

Just because someone has owned a boat a lot longer than you certainly doesn't make them a safer/better boater; some of the stupidest drivers I've ever seen have been long-time boaters that just never learned and/or don't care.

I try to use the blower each time I start the engine. It probably isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt either.

As far as tubes go, I would rather spend two hours trying to teach someone to ski or board than to spend 30 minutes pulling them on a tube. However, some folks just don't have any desire to want to learn to ski/board or lack the physical ability to do either. I'd rather pull them on a tube than to leave them out completely. I don't think it's fair of me to say that if you aren't willing to learn to ski/board then I'm not going to bother with doing something else that you might enjoy, just because I don't want to go to the trouble of inflating the tube and looking uncool towing it around. Besides, a lot of folks who ride the tube then decide that they want to learn to ski/board afterwards. However, each person has the right to refuse to pull a tube if they want; it's your boat. (I do like the Ferrari - popup camper analogy)

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Welcome....Did you win the lotto? Damn.

That is quite impressive that you have been able to get up on each of the disciplines in such a short time

Get back to the downed skier as fast as you can if there is on coming traffic.
Espically Jet Skis that see the big roller that was sent out due to you stopping or turning and get all excited.

I was once riding with a driver who had/has no clue what he was doing on the lake, (he now has a deck boat! WATCH OUT!) and the boat wouldn't plane off because he wouldn't give it enough throttle, then he couldn't turn...My family was in the bow of the boat so we stared driving from up there, if we needed to turn we would move to the side we needed to turn to. It was fairly amusing.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
Welcome....Did you win the lotto?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm obviously in the wrong profession. These guys who are buying two new boats at a time and buying a new boat and several thousand dollars worth of equipment to go with it are killing me. Of course, I think it bothers me more that he has learned to use all these in such a short period of time.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 190 LT1
I think that the new boat calls for some pictures.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
Welcome....Did you win the lotto? Damn.
Pirate you missed the part about being an "average Joe"... I am still cracking up....

"Uh lets see.. I"ll take the house on the water, a new $50,000 boat. And I can't make up my mind on the accessories so I will take EVERYTHING.. Average Joe my A$$......
Old 06-28-2005, 11:00 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Maybe he was on that TV show and this is the prize money?

/hates reality tv.
/doesn't count Family Bonds because it's not TV, it's HBO.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
[quote=LakePirate]I was once riding with a driver who had/has no clue what he was doing on the lake
Pirate, we see everything that you can't imagine on the lake. Last season two guys in one of those small jet boats were pulling a skier very fast and both of them were just looking forward! Well needless to say, the skier fell and they just kept going, they didn't even know that he fell!
I went and covered the skier until they finally returned a few minutes later.
SPOTTERS, NEVER TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF THE SKIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It sounds simple but it is easy to get distracted out there.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
On Average Joe you only get the girl, if she picks you over the soap opera star.

Wife loves them..

Stevo - Trust me brother, I have seen my fair share of crazy stuff...how about watching a guy picking gravel out of his backside from tubing on the shore line.

Last edited by LakePirate; 06-28-2005 at 11:09 AM.