Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X7, MCX
Etiquette and a new life on the water

I just moved onto a lake, and just bought my new X7 (which I love!!!), and while snooping around ran across a few etiquette and wakeboard/ski issues and thought I would start a new thread...ask a few questions...and maybe shed some light on things from a newbies perspective.

First, I am in my mid thirties, married with kids, yadayada. Your average joe I guess.

Up until this year, I had never owned a boat or been behind one on anything...a complete newbie in every sense.

First, a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any advice on how to tactfully let people know that power turns and running up on skiers/boarders is simply not allowed on your boat? Its really a tough situation, the neighbors that have been boating on the lake for many years take a turn driving your boat pulling you, and they make every mistake imaginable when it comes to common courtesy and safety...but it would be pretty arrogant to have an admitted newbie counsel them on it. I was thinking of having a sticker made that has a few of the rules...what do you guys do. I want to do it right, but see that most simply do not care. Thoughts?

2. How often do you guys check your fluids....about every how many hours?

3. do you really need to run the blower every time? I notice than most people only do the first time they start it up in the morning...then not after. Nothing legal...whats the real deal?

OK...now on the other issue. I didn't know a dang thing about any of it. I went out and bought it all right away. I bought skies, a wakeboard, a wakeskate, kneeboard, airchair, and several tubes.

I have spent a few hours on each, and I like each for different reasons. On the lake, it seems that everyone has their favorite, which is fine, but I am enjoying having a quiver to pull from for the maximum fun at any given time. When you read this...remember that I have only had the boat about a month...so I clearly have very limited experience on each.

I have to say, that I have no prejudices at all, and that double skis sucks compared to the others. Friday I tried slalom, and that was actually a pleasant surprise. Based on how doubles was, I pretty much felt like it was going to be a one time thing. The feeling of acceleration was surreal, and I like the analogy of the perfect golf shot to it. I can see how it could be a blast and the most "pure" of the field, but that will be reserved for the early morning glass.....ahhhhh.

The wakeskate is a blast, and although I cant get air with it yet it also has a weird feeling of purity...like surfing for some reason. I pull it out when a few boats come out or the wind picks up and its not glass anymore.

Then comes the wakeboard...the great part about the wakeboard is that you can get to decent in just a few hours of time. Thats the draw I think. It is easy to get up, easy to turn, easy to carve, and the possibilities are absolutely endless. I have to say that I will probably spend most of my time boarding, it seems to fit.

When the lake gets a little worse, I pull out the airchair. It really is a wild feeling, and you can cut through the chop like nothing else. There is nothing...and I do mean nothing...that is like taking an airchair out during a sunset in glass. When it starts to fly, and the world goes quiet, and you take your eyes off off everything but the sunset in front of you...its just beautiful. Peaceful, you can actually think at the same time.

Of course, when things turn to crap, yank out a tube and pull the kids around. You know, I already hate tubes and what they do. I swear, it is amazing that nobody has gotten killed on our lake. I already feel like a total wanker pulling a tube with my boat. It feels like hooking a popup trailer onto a Ferrari.

From my new seat, I see that what everyone needs is a little education and courtesy training.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that while everyone seems to feel that what they do is the right thing, or the pure thing, or the most challenging thing which automatically means that everyone else should get out of the way...I can tell you that everyone here is blessed to be able to do any of it. I cant tell you how excited I am at every milestone, every new kid that gets up on a board or skis, the interaction with the water is therapeutic.

Look around a little, you have water around you 360 degrees....that should be all you need to smile.

I guess I will have to try barefooting next. Man, that's going to hurt. I think I ruptured my eardrum this weekend as it is taking a hard faceplant..I cant imagine what it would have been like at 45mph.

By the way, its great being part of the community.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
wow, you learned to double, single, wakeboard,kneeboard, wakeskate and air chair in less than a month with out any previous experience! plus learn to drive and handle a boat for the first time. you must be a quick learner.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
MC Fanatic

I dont know about that...

I didn't say I got good at any of it, just to the point where I could do it. I can fly the airchair fairly well, but cant land jumps consistently.

I only tried doubles once.

I only slalomed for about thirty minutes tops...It is a huge workout. I can cut across the wake ok...but certainly not like the other guys.

I can jump the wakeboard, and switch stances, slide, the normal newbie stuff but that's about it.

I have only spent about three sets on the wakeskate, but its unbelievably forgiving.

Definitely a master of none!!!

I spend 90% of the time pulling the kids around. My 11 year old was jumping the wakes in the first hour...the little *$%#

40 hours on the boat in a month, that's part of it.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Hey Robert,
I'll second the comment..... you are a quick learner. I'd have to concentrate on one thing to get any good at it!
As far as etiquette goes, I guess I lead by example. When I'm driving & the guy that is going to be my driver is with me, I talk about what I'm doing & why I'm doing it....... hoping that he'll do the same. If he doesn't get it, then ask point blank. Don't hint, tell him straight out. He'll appreciate it later.

I liked the analagy of hooking up a popup camper to a Ferrari. Thats a riot & dead right! This weekend I had a neighbor girl ask me if I'd pull her around on the tube. I politely told her that tubes were for kids, drunks & people with no talent. And that if she wanted to wakeboard, I'd pull her all day long. Maybe thats mean or vain, but later I saw a guy pulling 2 humungous tubes, loop after loop, behind a $45k Moomba Mobius......... frankly I was glad it was him & not me.

Anyway, welcome to the group!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
on the delta this weekend i noticed a fair amount of tubers. i commented on how dangerous it is with the narrow channels and that people are stupid to do it there. of course only minutes later i stopped for gas at a marina and the sherriff there was talking about some moron who whipped someone into the rocks that may have killed the person.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
Congrats on all your new digs. There is no substitute for safety, it doesn't matter who's in the boat.
1. It's your boat, your rules. Teach them how to drive in a straight line and then do a "dumbell turn" and go right back through the water they were just in.
"I wish you wouldn't get so close to the other skiers or boarders, there have been too many deaths over the US by other boats hitting downed skiers" - very sad but true.
2. Since the boat is new, check the oil daily, vary the rpms for the first 10-12 hrs. Check the tranny fluid once every couple of days to make sure it stays topped off then just keep an eye on it. Oil/filter change every 50 hrs, I do tranny fluid every 50 hrs too. I change plugs and fuel filter every year.
3. I leave my engine cover vented over night (prop it up) to let all the heat out so I hardly ever run my blower but for training new people, run first thing in the morning and after getting fuel are two safe operations.

Everyone has varying opinions, find what works best for you. If you like tinkering with your boat, then maintenance is a great way to tinker.

Common courtesy on lakes is hard to get sometimes so ski early, it's easier to deal with. We have one finger off a cove on our lake, that if we want to mess with everyones kids, everybody brings a boat, party barge, etc. We tie them together, all the way to shore to shore and use the MC inside the long finger - we sort of seal it off.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Ok, so....

Let me ask you all this. What is the absolute best way to get back to a downed rider quickly, safely, and without swamping the boat?

I currently drop off power, wait for the first two rollers to pass, then idle back to the skier by turning hard right and going back. If I turn too early, I always blip the throttle to get the bow over a roller or two. If some idiot is about to run over my downed rider, I power turn like a mad man and block the said moron.

I heard that turning slightly left while you come off power helps...so, whats the real deal....what is the perfect pattern for a standard pickup without imminent danger???
Old 06-27-2005, 10:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome, RobertT. Not too much to add. But as far as running up on other boats and riders, I wouldn't hesitate to politely tell your friends and neighbors that that's rule 1 when they're out on your boat. Newbie or not, they're on your boat. In my humble opinion, anyone who runs up on another boat/rider, etc. needs some polite, but firm correction

Glad to have you here.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X5 a.k.a."Lil Mule"
As far as picking up a downed rider...you have the right idea. I let off the throttle and after the boat comes off plane I will turn a slight left . Sometimes, I will put it in reverse (ever so gently), after turning to the left, if I don't want to disturb the water at all.

It's okay to bump the throttle to get the bow up over a roller - you just don't want to be wedging deep on a turn to go pick up a downed rider and throw a roller accross the lake. Obviously, if another boat is coming near your downed rider get back quick.

This brings up an interesting subject...if you're in the water and a boat or PWC is approaching, what do you do? Some guys will wave their arms, but I prefer to splash the water. You can throw water into the air a lot higher than you can wave your arms.

Anyways, it sounds like you're enjoying your new set-up! Like AirJunky said...lead by example.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I lift my slalom ski up and wave it back and forth (shiny red side toward the PWC). Worst case scenario, if the PWC keeps bearing down on me, I could clothesline the driver with my ski.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.