Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91 prostar 190
Call me "Old - School" but ..........

Please answer a question for me......

Why do people put towers on 190's and 205's????

They take the best slalom boat in the world and put a tower on it.

First off, these boats were designed NOT to produce a wake. That is one of the things that make the boat so awesome. So, they take a boat designed NOT to have a wake and make it into a boat that produces a wake. They drill holes through the gelcoat, that will never be the same again, then it cracks and spiders and they wonder, why?. They put fat sacks in the back to put the end lower. The boat wasn't designed for that. This makes the nose come up. The boat was designed to be level. Why not just buy a big I/O boat ?

It would be like having a four wheel drive corvette, or saying I'm going to by a VW bug and put a larger engine in it. It just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry

OK. I feel better now. I know there is not an answer, I am mostly venting.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X-30 SS, LY6
Or buy a big Mastercraft V-drive X-Series?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmuffin View Post
Or buy a big Mastercraft V-drive X-Series?
THANK THE LORD!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
I'd add to it... for most wakeboarders, the difference between attaching the rope to the ski pylon vs 3 feet higher on the tower is minimal.

I have to admit, the towers look cool and are a great place for speakers.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

I guess the logical answer is, ...... it is a way to get into wakeboarding for around 10k.
I just hate to see machines used for things they were not designed for. Especially when they drill holes and such.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd View Post
I guess the logical answer is, ...... it is a way to get into wakeboarding for around 10k.
I just hate to see machines used for things they were not designed for. Especially when they drill holes and such.
on new 197 a mini tower looks good, but put on a full tower and you have ruined your boat
Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Skipper

I have a 95 PS 190. No tower, no bimini. TayMC (Taylor) has a 93 PS 190 with a mini-tower. It weighs only 65 lbs. It looks very nice on the boat. It has a bimini, ski and board racks, and speakers. Now slalom is my thing. But if I had the money to drop on a mini-tower with bimini, I would not hesitate to install it on my PS 190. It makes the boat less cluttered, more versitile, and even looks pretty cool. I ski in a few tournaments each year and I have never been behind a new PS 197 that did not have a mini-tower. Sure, open bow as apposed to the PS 190. But why the tower?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I am against towers on any of the slalom boats, but saying they weren't designed to produce a wake isn't entirely correct. Three event boats were designed for a flat slalom wake, minimal jump wake and a sizable trick wake.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

About 3 weeks ago I bought a 1989 Supra TS6m. It is immaculate, one owner, original everything, 203 hours. It is black with cream trim, original cover. The boat was an original beauty. I bought it because I came across a guy who did not know what he had. I put it up for sale and sold it to the first person who saw it. But , I almost did not sell it. The buyer was a 20 something year old. He ooood and aaaawed over the boat then went on to tell me he was going to change the graphics on the boat and put a tower on it. I almost did not sell it to him. I really wanted to sell it to a guy who's parents had one like it when he was growing up. I wanted to keep it original. If I had space in my garage I would have kept. it, just to keep it original.
Which brings me to another comment ..... man, those Pleasure Craft Marine motors sure are some fine running machines.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
You need to get beyond this! What do you care what the other person puts on there boat. You dont have to buy it or sell it for that matter. Keeping a 86 Supra original. These are not made out of gold. Hoping they will appreciate is foolish! They will hold value!

Should MC not make an X-7, X-14 or X-14 V drive?

The driving purpose behind these boat is dad an mom are in there 30s and want to ski. At the flick of a switch jr. or his sister can wakeboard. They don'tthrow a PRO SIZE wake. It is designed so the whole family can get involved in water sports and enjoy different aspects of the sport

Not everyone skis!

Is the amount of folks that ski probably down compared to years past? Yes. If you bought that boat for $5K and Sold it for $7K good for you. An old SupraTSm comp or what ever. Let the guy be. You guys who are purists will always remain that way. Do I agree that a perfect 1985 Stars and Stripes is not the place for a tower? Yes I do...But who cares. NOT MY BOAT nor is it yours. Let the poor guy enjoy his boat the way he wants to.

Jim@BAWS

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)