Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
Thanks Jim.

When using two battery banks, the wire that needs to be upgraded from the alternator should run to the Engine battery bank or the AUX battery bank? My guess would be the Engine battery bank, I'll call it Bank 1.

Upon your recommendations, I think I'll remove the alternator and just run either a Borg Warner "dumb" relay like Diesel has done or just go for the Perko switch.

Also, what does IIRC stand for?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Leroy

Great job Diesel! Definitely FAQ!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:35 AM
MC Master Poster

IIRC is 'If I Remember Correctly' Just one of the snazzy internet abbreviations.

Are the second batteries going to be close to the primary battery? With the switch or re;ay in the 'Both' position, all batteries will receive charging voltage, but if the switch is in either the 1 or 2 position, only the primary battery will get that.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:18 AM
MC Devotee

My starting or engine battery will be in the compartment on the driver's side of the engine and the stereo or AUX battery bank (2 Optimas) will be on the passenger side of the engine. So, I would say they are relatively close together.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
MC Devotee

Jim -

I took the boat apart this weekend and learned alot of stuff. First, I have an orange wire, probably 8-10 AWG, going from the POS lead of the alternator direct to the starter. Then, there is a 2 AWG battery lead going from the starter to my Perko Battery Switch COMMON terminal. I did not find any wire going directly from the alternator to either battery. This is how my dealer wired in my isolator and battery switch and it worked fine. Now, I am getting rid of the isolator and running only the Perko switch (for now, I may add a Borg Warner Relay down the road or a battery combiner). So, what am I missing. I know a few threads back you said there should be a wired going from the alternator direct to the battery - which battery, Engine or Stereo???

Thanks for the help. I will post another block diagram later this evening of how I am planning on wiring my batteries and Perko Switch.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
MC Master Poster

OK, I forgot that they just go to the battery cable at the starter since the battery is farther away from the alternator than in a car or truck. Sorry about that.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205
Jim -

Then, there is a 2 AWG battery lead going from the starter to my Perko Battery Switch COMMON terminal. I did not find any wire going directly from the alternator to either battery. This is how my dealer wired in my isolator and battery switch and it worked fine.
IMHO this is a very dangerous way to wire the system. If by chance somebody turned the perko the wrong way (to off) it will instantly kill the regulator in the alternator. The charging lead off the alternator should always be hard-wired (no switch) to at least one of the batteries(banks). It is the safest way to do it, no exceptions.

I understand why the Perko switch was used and I discourage it in any dual battery setup simply because the relay does the exact same thing, is automatic, and costs less.

However in your new setup I do not understand why you would keep the Perko switch at all?? If you just want to cut power I would install it on the 6-8ga lead that powers the rest of the boat harness. As a rule I do not place any switching devices between the charge and starter circuits of the engine harness and engine battery(banks). Too much current and too much risk IMHO.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:18 AM
MC Devotee

Diesel -

Is it OK to add a wire, of appropriate AWG, from the + terminal of the alternator direct to the + terminal of Battery 1 and also keep the 8-10 AWG that goes from the alternator to the starter?

Regarding the use of the Perko, since I already have it and do not have a relay, I think I am going to use the Perko for now. If I determine it is a PIA, I will add either a Battery Combiner or the BW relay.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Celebrity
I still have no idea why you guys are bothering with perko's........................................... ...........
Old 03-19-2006, 09:58 AM
MC Devotee

Zberger -

Suggestions in place of the Perko????

Borg Warner replay?
Battery Combiner?
Isolator?

Need input.

Thanks

Tags
amp, ballast, batteries, stereo, system