Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
never mind....but can't figure out how to delete the entire post....misread negative and positive. .
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
JimN,
So your saying i should use one ground, but have a ground connection between the batteries?
Attached another diagram... this look right?
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
JimN,
So your saying i should use one ground, but have a ground connection between the batteries?
Attached another diagram... this look right?

If you want to simplify the wiring, you could use a distribution block on both the positive and negative cables and use one larger cable to the block. Don't put them next to each other- if the carpet or whatever they're on gets wet, it will conduct and you can have problems from that.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If you want to simplify the wiring, you could use a distribution block on both the positive and negative cables and use one larger cable to the block. Don't put them next to each other- if the carpet or whatever they're on gets wet, it will conduct and you can have problems from that.
If the alternator wire is wired to the common post on the switch, why would you use a distribution block for the positive wire?
Sorry for all the questions... just trying to understand how this should be wired. perhaps could you provide a diagram of how yours is set up?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
If the alternator wire is wired to the common post on the switch, why would you use a distribution block for the positive wire?
Sorry for all the questions... just trying to understand how this should be wired. perhaps could you provide a diagram of how yours is set up?
The charging lead needs to be sufficient to allow the charging current to pass through it without resistance and I thought your original diagram showed a battery switch. If you still plan to use a switch, you can either use a distribution block (if the batteries won't be really close to the switch) or use the switch to distribute the voltage/current. The ground doesn't have anything to do with the battery switch, so the easy way to deal with them is by using a distribution block, instead of running two long ground cables to the block.

Alternator-->charging lead-->battery switch input--> Battery 1 +
--> Battery 2 +
Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
MC Devotee

Yea, i was going to use the perko switch to distribute the charge between the batteries. I understand what your saying with the distribution block for the ground... but was looking for someone's else diagram for their setup so i know i have this right.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Here is my diagram pulled from my brothers boat and now used in mine.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stereo Schematic.pdf (6.5 KB, 318 views)

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, prostar 205, 1993
Ok I'm good with the relay, but do have one question. I'm going to put my second battery in the back with my first batttery. Will the relay be ok back there with the gas tank or do I need to put it somewhere else?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
A relay is a switch. I would worry about an arc in the back enclosed compartment filled with gas fumes. Yikes. I put both batteries under spotter seat. Factory cables reached actually. I didn't even want a single battery in the same compartment as the fuel.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-80
I want to install a battery charger in my boat. Either a Guest or ProMariner. Is it as simple as mounting the thing on the partition and attaching the leads to the + and - on both batteries?

I have a Guest 1, 2, Both and Off switch, and a battery on either side of the boat. Theres just a ton of wires connected to them, and I have no idea how they are all linked up. Here are some photos. It appears the positives are both into some kind of small boxes on both sides of the boat. See pictures below. 1st and 2nd are star side battery, guest switch and the little box the positives are attached to, 3 and 4 are port side same. Any advice?
Attached Images

Tags
amp, ballast, batteries, stereo, system