Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-star
Wow, there is alot to take in, in here. I have a few comments, as i am about to install another battery.

I am doing a Perko switch the "1/2/both/off" type. Someone earlier in the thread said they fried their voltage regulator in their alternator by trying to start their boat with the switch set to "off" how is that possible? In the "off" position BOTH batteries should completely isolated from the Boat, so you'd have no power,...right?

I understand you can do damage by switching the Perko to "off" if the boat is running, but not the other way.

Also with the switch you are isolating the Batteries from each other, but (at least the way im doing it) the rest of the boat's systems are going to be connected by the comm. post on the Perko. So I will be able to start the boat, run the stereo, lights, pumps, etc. with either battery, or both at the same time (not practical, or likely).

If you are on the "both" position, the Batteries are connected in parallel, and that will cause them to "equalize" the weaker drawing charge from the stronger which can be damaging if one is way down and pulls very rapidly, but what don't get is .....How does that efffect the Alternator as someone mentioned earlier??? Thanks guys this is a great thread.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
i'll take a shot at this. it's usually not an issue with the alternator unless you are running a larger stereo system with multiple batteries. if the stereo bank of batteries is constantly being drained down to low levels and the combiner combines both banks because the starting battery is full, then the alternator is constantly overworked with the engine on. stock alternators are not capable or designed to recharge multiple heavily drained batteries while maintaining electronics, guages, ballast and bilge pumps, etc. that's why if you're serious about your tunes and your stereo, you need to protect your investment by having a recharging routine off the water with a battery charger. most people don't consider upgrading their boat's charging system unless they're working with fairly large stereo system.

if you're going to go to the trouble of installing a second battery and a manual switch, i'd definitely consider adding a combiner/seperator. it will give you peace of mind, elminate the need to have to mess with the switch to charge and you'll still have the switch to turn everything "off" and manual combine in an emergency start situation.

someone else will probably come along and put in their two cents, but that's how i understand it.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Nice Bruce. More alt. is a good thing with these over-the-top stereo systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemac View Post
i'll take a shot at this. it's usually not an issue with the alternator unless you are running a larger stereo system with multiple batteries. if the stereo bank of batteries is constantly being drained down to low levels and the combiner combines both banks because the starting battery is full, then the alternator is constantly overworked with the engine on. stock alternators are not capable or designed to recharge multiple heavily drained batteries while maintaining electronics, guages, ballast and bilge pumps, etc. that's why if you're serious about your tunes and your stereo, you need to protect your investment by having a recharging routine off the water with a battery charger. most people don't consider upgrading their boat's charging system unless they're working with fairly large stereo system.

if you're going to go to the trouble of installing a second battery and a manual switch, i'd definitely consider adding a combiner/seperator. it will give you peace of mind, elminate the need to have to mess with the switch to charge and you'll still have the switch to turn everything "off" and manual combine in an emergency start situation.

someone else will probably come along and put in their two cents, but that's how i understand it.
Very well said.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-star
The big reason Im Adding a Battery and the switch is peace of mind on the water. I dont have a BIG stereo - Im running basically two 6" speakers in the bow, and two in the aft and one sub, all from a single amp. I plan on adding two 6.5" speakers on the tower, and another amp. I also want to add a Light bar, possibly some underwater LED's.

I plan to use the switch to go to the second battery to play music, run lights ect. while floating around on the lake while the boat is off, saving the primary battery to ensure i have starting power when its time to go home. The perko was the best deal, and the easiest to wire up.

Have any of you guys used a bus bar set-up to manage the wiring when you have alot of "add-ons"?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
adding a combiner along with that switch isn't all that much more difficult and can used to achieve exactly what you're after with one great benefit: you don't have to mess with the switch or remember to change positions. get in your boat, turn it to "1" and enjoy your day. come home turn it to off, charge your batteries, etc. just saying it's not much more money and well worth it imo.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
Nice Bruce. More alt. is a good thing with these over-the-top stereo systems.
Don't forget to increase the charging lead as well.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I did the Blue Seas "add a battery" kit. If it wasn't for the poor wiring that I started with (see attached link for the details) this would have been an easy job that I could have completed in a couple hours.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...hlight=battery

There have been several other members that have installed this system and seem to be happy with the results.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
So I've read this thread once or twice a year for almost 4 years now....Each year I plan on installing it, then end up with a new boat instead.

I'm going to do Diesel's relay before the season starts. I think I am going to install a pushbutton switch in series with the purple ignition wire. Essentially the same as the OP, but when I know I've been floating for a while I can push the button while starting to keep the current from rushing from one battery to the other until the boat is started. Simpler than a timer/ relay combination. If someone else happens to start the boat or I forget to push the button, no harm done. But I'm sure I can get in the habit of using it when I think I've drained the battery substantially.

I just need to find a decent (normally closed) push button switch.....

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Hey John the path to he'll is paved with good intentions...I guess we'll see if you do this.

Tags
amp, ballast, batteries, stereo, system