Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 12-12-2014, 11:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 05 XStar, 97 ProStar 205
Charging Dual Battery System

So I just purchased a battery charger/maintainer. I plan on just plugging my boat in each time I pull into the boat house. Problem is, there's got to be a simple way to charge both batteries at the same time. Has someone done this who can shed some light? I've got dual batteries with the Perko switch.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
If it's just a single bank charger just set the perko to all, and it will charge both batteries.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X2 MCX
I've been looking into on board chargers for the same reason. Check this out http://www.geniuschargers.com/GEN2
Old 12-12-2014, 12:08 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
If it's just a single bank charger just set the perko to all, and it will charge both batteries.
I guess my main question would be where to attach the charger in order to charge both batteries? I just have it connected to my house battery right now.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:10 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseSteak1 View Post
I've been looking into on board chargers for the same reason. Check this out http://www.geniuschargers.com/GEN2
That's an awesome charger if I had that much money to invest in a charger!
Old 12-12-2014, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
I would connect it directly to the battery. As asked, is it just a single bank charger? If its a 2-bank on-board marine charger, then it would have 2 sets of leads, one for each bank.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011, x45, 6.2L
Try the Genmini2, you don't need 10A per battery for a maintenance. I have the Genmini2 on my MC and it works great, install was simple just connect to both batteries directly. I have the Gen2 3 bank on my fishing boat and it has worked flawlessly as well. I leave it plugged in all the time and have never had to add water in over a year. These are much better than the junk at bass pro or cabelas. Very happy.

I liked their products so much I bought gb30 jump starter as well. Only tried it to jump a Ford ranger but it worked with a completely dead battery. Very handy, they make awesome stuff.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I have dual batteries and a single bank charger. Batteries linked by an ACR (automatic perko switch) for charging only. The batteries discharge to separate components. House battery runs the stereo only and start battery runs every ting else. That way the amps can never kill the start battery.
I hooked the charger right to the starter motor and it back feeds to both batteries thru the start battery and ACR to the house battery. Works great. I have a5 and 6 yr old batteries that I pulled from the boat and put in the truck a couple years ago still going strong.
Theoretically charging both batteries off a single bank charger can overcharge 1 battery while trying to top off the one that is lower on charge since it is sending the same amps to both and only does into float mode once it senses high enough stored voltage but I've found it doesn't appear to hurt my AGM batteries judging by how long they've lasted.
Plus it was more convienent and less clutter to put the charger in the engine compartment in my case.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-12-2014, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolinb View Post
So I just purchased a battery charger/maintainer. I plan on just plugging my boat in each time I pull into the boat house. Problem is, there's got to be a simple way to charge both batteries at the same time. Has someone done this who can shed some light? I've got dual batteries with the Perko switch.
A lot depends upon your wiring/setup, what you want to achieve and what you have for a charger.

So, for example, if you have an Automatic Charging Relay (ACR) it only combines the two when your batteries are at peak voltage. In addition with the master switch off, the batteries are isolated. So you would need dual leads to charge both batteries when the switch is off.

The wires on your charger are most likely of a gauge that requires a short distance connection. So connecting anywhere but directly to the battery may be a bad idea.

While you could devise a split lead from the charger to the batteries, effectively you are combining the batteries resulting in a higher amperage. Now you will need a higher amperage to effectively charge. To low of an amperage on say something like a maintainer designed for a single battery may very well not be enough to even maintain the two batteries. If you use one of these "battery tenders" the easiest and least expensive route may be to just buy two.

Notice that I spoke in generalities above. Because so much depends on the details: amps of batteries, amps of your charger...

If it were me, I would consider investing a few dollars into a 3-stage dual battery charger. Look at ProMariner or Guest. I have a Guest installed in the boat next to the batteries. Marine batteries cost $$$. Investing $$ on a good 3-stage charger is a good long term investment.
-----
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
-----
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
Old 12-12-2014, 01:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011, x45, 6.2L
If the batteries are the same size and about the same age you should be OK with one charger, if they are different sizes I would be more concerned like Thrall mentioned about topping them off evenly. You best bet is still one charger per battery so each can be analyzed and charged independently even though it's probably overkill. Golf carts, RVs, manlifts, etc charge multiple batteries on one charger all the time though...so you will be ok.