Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 02-11-2015, 04:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1999 5.7l vortec
Temperature Gauge from 1999 PS190

Anyone know if these MDC temp gauges can be repaired?

I can't bring myself to throw the old one out as the new one cost me 95

I also couldn't get hold of the carbon fibre insert one originally used on this year boat so ideally would like to get the old one fixed. The new one is plain black.

It seems pretty well sealed up and would likely break if I tried opening it.

thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
You may want to contact MDC .. http://www.medallion-instruments.com/ talk to an engineer - support folks won't tell you what you need. Know anyone who could trouble shoot the little board inside?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1999 5.7l vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
You may want to contact MDC .. http://www.medallion-instruments.com/ talk to an engineer - support folks won't tell you what you need. Know anyone who could trouble shoot the little board inside?
Yes me

Just seems near impossible to disassemble without destroying, as it appears to be glued shut from the front lens....

I thought about maybe heating the whole thing up, hopefully then the adhesive might soften.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Let us know what you find out...to get it apart, hair dryer, bake in oven ~ temp, to soften the adhesive..I have a speedometer with a bad stepper motor, drives the needle, they say the motor can be replaced with parts from ebay $4~$6 bucks. Repair keep everything same OEM look. Mine is a 03 Medallion gauge, can be fixed with 03 chevy instrument cluster stepper motors. They say it can be done, not a Medallion fault, supplier has now an up dated stepper motor, last 8 years instead of 2, so even replacing OEM gauge for that model year might not last long, might be best to repair with new updated stepper motor version anyhow. I will be getting into this with my boat, soon as the temps come up a bit outside.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
hi, did you manage to get the gauge apart? I have a similar problem, gauge knackered however I have a full set of spare gauges from a newer boat so the MDC doesn't control the tacho or read hours. Id like to take the mechanical guts out the working gauge and put into my knackered gauge and keep the hour meter etc.