Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Speakers and speedo not working after depth gauge install

Hi all! I have a 1996 prostar 205. I just installed a faria depth gauge where the clock goes. Gauge has power is working well. I didn't get a chance to run the boat until the next day, but when I did, I noticed no sound from the speakers and the speedometers were not working. One speaker doesn't seem to get any power, the other one makes some crackles at full volume and will randomly make some noise if you turn the blower on. Pioneer head unit has power and seems to be working fine. I tried putting new speakers in but no luck. I put the clock back in but still no change. Everything is pretty much stock except pioneer MVH x360BT head unit and 2 Polk marine speakers. No amps or complex wiring. I'm all out of ideas and would appreciate any helpful ideas! Thanks everyone!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Sounds obvious, but double check all connections, make sure everything is tight. Possible that when reaching around behind the dash, you bumped something and created a short, or pulled a wire loose or something along those lines.
G
Old 07-14-2017, 05:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
I pulled the head unit...it gets power and the speakers connect direct to the wiring harness. Everything looks ok.