Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Maristar VRS 225
I just installed the MM691's and the and the MM651's in my Maristar. I put the 6 x 9's in the front and the 6 1/2's in the rear. I am driving them with a Rockford Fosgate "Old School" amp. Crazy thing is for the first few hours of playing them the day I installed them I wasn't happy with their sound. As I waxed the boat the next day however I left the stereo on and as the hours went by they sounded awesome. I actually found them on Ebay for around $240.00 for both pair. The 6 x 9's are really fantastic! They almost drown out the sub in the back of the boat. I also have a pair of their 6" MOMO's on my tower with a RF amp. I would not hesitate to put these great looking speakers in your boat! And remember about the break in period, after a few hours you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemac View Post
the UM's have attached grilles, which allows you to supposedly "seal" the front. they also have stainless terminals and the crossovers are sealed and attached on the back, which etduc can clarify, but i believe increases required mounting depth.

overkill imo unless you're boating on salt. the baskets and the rest of the motor structure are identical i'm pretty sure and i know the surface material on the midbass is the same carbon/glass fiber.

you are also no doubt paying a bit more for the certification they received from testing.
Pretty much correct. Install depth is very close to standard db. The cross over housing, does take up alittle room, but adds some protection to woofer cone. As to improve highs, we sometimes hear what we want too.

Plus, I think they look, more BUTCH!

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Last edited by etduc; 06-13-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
I have got some Polk db650's gathering dust in my garage if anyone wants them. I have 2 pair. I think they were great, but replaced them with Wetsounds and thought the Wetsounds were better.

I think something that has been stated but not directly, is that it is really important to get enough power to your speakers. I think that is not likely to be the case with your clarions, but if you find the new speakers to be lacking, make sure you have a powerful enough amp to push them.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Prostar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
I have got some Polk db650's gathering dust in my garage if anyone wants them. I have 2 pair. I think they were great, but replaced them with Wetsounds and thought the Wetsounds were better.

I think something that has been stated but not directly, is that it is really important to get enough power to your speakers. I think that is not likely to be the case with your clarions, but if you find the new speakers to be lacking, make sure you have a powerful enough amp to push them.

Thanks for the advice. I also just pm'd you about them.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 PS205, then a 2002 X9, and now a 2012 X14V
Polk for certain. Best speaker for the money, hands down.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Red X14V on Center Hill & Old Hickory lakes in TN -

Tags
kicker, polk, stereo