Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2010, 02:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Prostar 205 LT-1
Polk DB, Polk MM, or Kicker KM

Hey friends,

We were talking about this on another thread and I got lots of good help, so thanks to all those with stereo knowledge. I have my new speakers for my 97 PS 205 narrowed down to these three:

1. Polk DB651
2. Polk MM651
3. Kicker KM6200/KM6130

I'm leaning toward the Polk DB651 because they are easy to find, their affordable, I like how they look, and I've gotten some great feedback from some of you on here. My priority is volume because I have some clarion's right now that crackle like mad and it drives me nuts! I just want to be able to crank up some classic rock! Any thoughts on the advantage of going for the MM651's? What about the Kickers or any other suggestions for a good 6.5" coaxial? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
i own the MM 6501 components and love them, but they are power hungry and also operate ~3Ohm versus 4. i wouldn't buy them unless you're at least pushing them with the recommended RMS rating.

i have never owned the DB series, but many people like them simply for the bang-for-the-buck...

i owned the momo's in my last boat and they were great with 75-80W RMS per speaker-plenty clean and loud.

you could easily stick a pair of DBs in your garage for backups for less than it would cost to setup with the MM's.

my gut tells me the pricing on the MM's will come down significantly over the next year or so just like the momo's did before they were disco'd.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Having owned the Momo's and the DB's I went again with the Db's. Same can be said for the new MM's after hearing them as well It's not necessarily one is better, its just that the 2 Polk speakers sound so much different when powered correctly.

The Momo's and now revamped MM's give the most truest sound if you ask me. They pump out good mids,highs, and lows especially in open air. They give you the most complete/truest sound. Great if you don't plan on adding a sub. Some people actually prefer them even with a sub. I just do not......just my opinion

The Db's give you a much more crisp sound. You lose a little thump of the lows and some of the mids compared to the Momo's, but I actually prefer that as I have a dedicated sub to give me what the Db's don't. However again I prefer the Db's clarity. The other bonus is the Db's don't require as much power to get loud and clear.

The Kickers. while I am a huge fan of their amps just don't really like the sound of their mid range speakers. Seems you always hae to go to their top of the line product to get a sound that I prefer. I have zero experience with the KM line so really can't give you an honest opinion.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I have DB6501's in the rear and DB651's in the front. Great sounding speakers---very clear. I have a little 8" Polk MM840 sub in a sealed box under the bow and it does very well also.

There's a guy on planetnautique selling 3 pairs of used MoMo 6.5's if anyone is interested (I'm not affiliated with the sale BTW).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 05-19-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Having owned the Momo's and the DB's I went again with the Db's. Same can be said for the new MM's after hearing them as well It's not necessarily one is better, its just that the 2 Polk speakers sound so much different when powered correctly.

The Momo's and now revamped MM's give the most truest sound if you ask me. They pump out good mids,highs, and lows especially in open air. They give you the most complete/truest sound. Great if you don't plan on adding a sub. Some people actually prefer them even with a sub. I just do not......just my opinion

The Db's give you a much more crisp sound. You lose a little thump of the lows and some of the mids compared to the Momo's, but I actually prefer that as I have a dedicated sub to give me what the Db's don't. However again I prefer the Db's clarity. The other bonus is the Db's don't require as much power to get loud and clear.

The Kickers. while I am a huge fan of their amps just don't really like the sound of their mid range speakers. Seems you always hae to go to their top of the line product to get a sound that I prefer. I have zero experience with the KM line so really can't give you an honest opinion.
Which MM are you talking about? I bought mm651um, over db651. Haven't installed them,yet. All Polks speakers, (I've owned a home set.) pretty dang impressive, at their price points.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

swat do you run your inboats full range? if so, why?

i run mine highpass, crossover set to 100-110 along with the external polk crossovers.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Prostar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
Which MM are you talking about? I bought mm651um, over db651. Haven't installed them,yet. All Polks speakers, (I've owned a home set.) pretty dang impressive, at their price points.
Just noticed that there's a difference. I was just looking at the regular mm651's because it says their still marine certified. Those UM's look like they have better seals and what not. Is that the main difference?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM
MC Devotee

the UM's have attached grilles, which allows you to supposedly "seal" the front. they also have stainless terminals and the crossovers are sealed and attached on the back, which etduc can clarify, but i believe increases required mounting depth.

overkill imo unless you're boating on salt. the baskets and the rest of the motor structure are identical i'm pretty sure and i know the surface material on the midbass is the same carbon/glass fiber.

you are also no doubt paying a bit more for the certification they received from testing.

2003 X-2 MCX

Last edited by brucemac; 05-19-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
As to not repeat perviously stated comments, all my cockpits are Polk MOMO 6.5 coaxials (the ones they discontinued) and I love them. Powered at 4ohms at 75w per speaker they absolutely rock all levels of sound and clarity. Even ran a set on my tower at one point and was happy with them. Cant go wrong with Polk, and while I dont like the DB series, I too have heard great things about them. Have you possibly considered JL 6.5 coaxial marine speakers? A little more money but you get the performance of JL. I too would stay away from Kicker, I have not heard their new HDLC's but I am not big on their products, mostly personal choice though. Just my 2cents.

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

"Its easier to beg for forgivness than ask for permission"
Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 AM
MC Devotee

not sure i'm sold on the MM series small "rare earth" magnets for this application

at first feel, you will think the speaker is cheap based on weight alone.

at second glance, you will say, "what the heck...this magnet is tiny..."

but then you will see the water resistance.

and they sing, i assure you-

2003 X-2 MCX

Tags
kicker, polk, stereo