Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 205
Tandem Tire sizes -Rubbing top of inner portion of fender

I have a 95 pro star 205v that I just finished sanblasting and painting. I am putting new tires and rims on it. It has 5 lug 14" rims and currently has 215 75r/14 tires (aftermarket tires and rims). When taking the fenders off I noticed on the inside top portion that the tires had been rubbing. I patched the fiberglass and am now looking for new rims and tires. CAN anyone tell me what size factory tires came on the 14" rims on a 1995 MAstercraft Tandem axel trailer? And has anyone else had rubbing issues????
Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I ran 205/75R14's on my 96 Tandem and had no problems rubbing.... they are only .2" smaller than the 215/75R14's you are running now.

Maybe your leaf springs are due for replacement?

Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
How correct is the backspacing on the aftermarket wheels? Is the wheel centered properly or is it in too far? Sodar has a good point on the springs sagging too. Might need to go down to 205's. Does the sticker on the trailer specify wheel size?

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
In 1990, MC welded a vertical plate on top of the spring bolt plate on top of the springs to act as a bump stop against the trailer frame to prevent the tires from rubbing. When the new tube trailers came out in 1991, they did away with them and just raised the fenders to stop the rubbing under normal conditions. I just added coupling nuts and bolts and nuts that were adjustable and placed crutch tips in the ends to act as bump stops on the two outboard spring bolt each side. If the trailer sags enough, they bump on the trailer frame and prevent the rub.
One of them on the one side can be seen here in this picture on the spring bolt.I have used them since 1991 and over 29K miles of towing
Attachment 58192

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 205
THanks

Thanks for the responses. Great pic of your boat and trailer SODAR. I Think I will defiantely be able to get it figured out. By the way TMC#1 , how did you get those fins polished out so nicely.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Thanks for the responses. Great pic of your boat and trailer SODAR. I Think I will defiantely be able to get it figured out. By the way TMC#1 , how did you get those fins polished out so nicely.
The original polishing job by my polishing guy and my 21 years of dedication to keeping them up.
This post may help to, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...28&postcount=7

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I ran 215s on my '96 trailer without issue.
I wouldn't get too worked up over a little rubbing on the fender. Maybe due to bouncing over a large bump and 1 axle taking all the weight, or a real tight turn job flexing the tires into the fender.
As long as they don't rub under normal driving and the tires or fender aren't showing alot of wear from it don't get stressed out.
Otherwise, maybe the springs are sacked out.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2008, MCX engine
On my old 94 205 trailer, both leaf springs gave away. I would hurry to replace springs if I was you as the cost is small compared to the trouble that it creates. It happened to me on a small bumby road in the middle of the country with no one near for help...

good luck
Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 205V
I recently noticed one of my wheels looks slightly foward on my fender, after launching the boat last week, I looked at the wheel, everything looked normal w/out the boat on it. Leads me to believe it's time to replace the spring.