Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-14v, MCX 350 (former owner of 1997 MC PS190, LT1).
1997 PS Trailer question

This question has probably been asked many times before. My trailer brakes activate when backing up a slight incline. HOw do I disable with a 1997 trailer? Thank you!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
If you have disc brakes, your wire to the reverse backup solenoid may be broken, not hooked up, wired wrong (not to toe vehicle back-up lights) or the solenoid may be toast. A replacement can be found here, http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/Webs...%20Catalog.pdf, page 14 or from a MC dealer.
You can also use the clip that goes in the actuator slide slot to prevent the brakes from engaging, found here, Side Lockout Kit, #31, page 14, http://www.trailersbydorsey.com/Webs...%20Catalog.pdf, or here, UFP/6000# LOCK-OUT SKU: P30160

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 05-19-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Lets simplify this for you! You own a older type trailer where there is not a bypass. On the passenger side is a slit. You can insert a nickle or a dime into that slot to prevent the actuator from going backwards thus engaging the cylinder pressure to the brakes. There is a special key made for that slit. Some folks put the nickel or dime in that slot and cover it with a magnet so it wont fall out. This process should only be used when backing up small distances with someone looking on if possible.

You will recognize that opening/ slit on the trailer. It is about 2-3 inches long and will hold one of those coins

PS Dont tell uncle sam what you are using the money for..

Hope this helps

Jim@BAWS

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: maristar v210 1999
warning. I tried the nickel trick and it wedged in between the actuator and steel shell around the sliding mechanism. Ughh. it took an hour to get it out. i now use a large c clamp i bought at tractor supply for 4 bucks and modified it slightly with a grinder to fit in the slot on both sides. when not needed, i clamp it to the trailer. my understanding with the clip is that it "automatically" falls out after going forward so i thought the clamp might be better for backing and going forward and backing and going forward Yea, i'll get better at trailering one day.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
TT Regular

You guys are terrific. Thanks for the great advice. I ordered the lock out clip.

I will use the dime or c-clamp in the meantime.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Even with the correct key, you'll still need a magnet to keep it in place. Even if you're not backing up and going forward (repeat), it has a tendency to fall out if there's any sort of movement before you can get the actuator to compress on it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Can I get the parts from Skidim??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM
TT Regular

I dont have that slot

I ordered the brake lock key. The only problem is that I don't have a brake lockout slot.

any thoughts?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramerman View Post
I ordered the brake lock key. The only problem is that I don't have a brake lockout slot.

any thoughts?

Is it a MC trailer? You mean you don't have slots each side of the actuator tube as shown in the pictures, if it's different, please show us a picture,
Attachment 58294Attachment 58295

What is shown is what was being installed on MC trailers in 1997, because I used the exact parts on my trailer rebuild in April of 1997,
Attachment 58296

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:08 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Harold, they must have changed back to something similar to the top picture by 98. That's what my father in law has on his trailer ... same as my 93. Yours looks a bit fancier.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.