Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-23-2005, 07:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Wakeboard bindings help needed

I would like to fool around on an old wakeboard I have.. Problem is the bindings are way too small and when I look at new bindings the cost is such that I could buy a new board with bindings.. Am I doing something wrong here???

Looks like the tie up bindings are the way to go for ease of entry.. Any ideas out there.. I just want to fool around, no flips, crashing my quad was bad enough.......
Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Looks like the tie up bindings are the way to go for ease of entry.. Any ideas out there.. I just want to fool around, no flips, crashing my quad was bad enough.......[/quote]

I have no advice on the bindings other than you get what you pay for. We stick with the tie ups, ease on and off. Don't forget to use "slime".
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X-30 MCX
Send a message via Yahoo to WakeSeeky
Bindings are weird. Seemed to me like each brand fit a little different, size aside. Your best bet is to try them on, if you can. Even if you end up shopping E-Bay or whatever after you decide what you want.

A cautionary tale: A friend of ours refused to dump his old, loose bindings, because they were easy to get into. Then his foot came out on a landing, causing a stress fracture in his ankle. Kinda messed up his summer, to say the least, he'd just gotten up on his second run of the season. Obviously, you can get hurt even with equipment that fits properly, but I figure why add to the risk? Boards and bindings have changed quite a bit the last few years, so if you find a good deal on a set, it might be worth it.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
I have tie-ups in the back heel of the binding, it works fine for me. Although the bindings are more pricy, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195 - LTR, ZeroFlex Tower
Don't be too sold on the idea that the lace ups are all easier to get into and out of. I have used a number of lace ups in the past 2 years and generally still found them a pain to put on and a bigger pain to get off!

Check eBay, I have found some good deals there on 2003 and 2004 models.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 AM
H2OGirl

I have the bylerly bindings, they have no lace adjustments, they only have a dial that you crank down and it tightens a wire, they work great and are extremely easy to get into and out of.

You can probably buy a new board/binding package deal for not a whole lot more than you can buy just bindings. Guess that depends on what exactly you want.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Cheecher

If you are just fooling around, then get something comfortable. I love hyperlite stuff, but between myself, and a couple of friends, we have found the construction, and stiching to be a little weak. Now we are prolly a little harder on the equipment than you are going to be (if you continue to just fool around), but after fooling with all the boa stuff (the dial that cranks the wire) we have decided to just go with laces. They seem a little more durable, and easy to replace or fix if your bindings decide to give you fits out on the water.

I have blown the whole foot pad out of a pair of Byerly's, and the Temets (shaun murray) that I have now, are slowly coming unstiched everywhere My firends Byerlys have come unstiched, and the boa cable break. He also had the parks bindings, which started to tear on him.

My next purchase will be a pair of Liquid Force transits. 2 laces, and you are in, and out, they are extremely comfortable, and the material and construction are tough. There is nothing more aggravating than being out on the water, and having to borrow somone elses board, or worse....not be able to ride, because something fell apart
Ok, end of rant.

I know it sounds like I am flaming Hyperlite, but we have just not had any good luck with there bindings at all. I love there boards though. If you are not looking to spend a ton, Liquid Force also makes the Alphas, which are very comfortable, and have awesome reviews across the board.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniversary XStar
I have a wakeboard binding question too. It follows this thread. I just bought a new pair of Liquid Force bindings off of ebay (2004's for $60). My husband and I have been sharing a board and bindings for a couple of years. Our weights are about the same but the feet are not. I can just slip right into them and then tighten them up (spins I think). So, the new ones are my size. Now the question is...How tight is to tight? I can get them on when dry. But they are quite snug. Is that normal? I heard some where that if they are to tight when you fall you can break something. They are currently sitting on my kitchen counter with bottles of hot water in them.
Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X-30 MCX
Send a message via Yahoo to WakeSeeky
X2momma -

I've had 2 pairs of LF bindings now, my husband's had 1 pair, all started out REALLY tight when new, at least when getting into them. If you have a hard time getting into them, but your feet aren't pinched once they are on, that seems to be the right size. Too tight and the circulation cuts off. They stretch with use. I "hurried" my first pair, but a little of that goes a long way, and by the end of the first season, my feet were sliding out the front of the bindings. Therefore, the second pair.

Because of the angle of the binding, there's a trick to getting in and out that we've never been able to really explain to anyone, you just have to "get" it. Best I can tell you is kind of point your toes. That doesn't make a lot of sense, becuase you have to bend your ankle too. It's kind of a rolling motion at the ankle while you're sliding in. Oh yeah, and don't be shy with the slime.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Cheecher

I have always found the topic of bindings fitting correctly a bit Subjective. Now it is a given that if they are cutting of your circulation, then they are too tight. When somone tells you the bindings will break in, they are not lying. They stretch, and become softer, and have more flex after a few weeks of use. I tend to like the binding to fit snug lower, and have a little bit of give up top. I have found it allows me to have a little more flex, when jumping, and grabbing the board, tweaking etc. If you are just starting, you prolly want a good snug fit. You want to be able to come out of the bindings with a hard enough pop, if not you are risking all sorts of fun knee issues. I have never had to use soap, slime, shaving cream or whatever to get into bindings. I agree with wakeseeky there is a technique to it, that just becomes natural, when getting in, and out of bindings. I have seen guys with a foot smaller than mine (length & with) struggle trying to get my bindings on, so i have no doubt that there is a technique to getting in, and out of them.