Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '96 Sammy Duval
Cleaning Carpets

I have a '96 Sammy and I'm a freak about keeping it in top condition. The boat basically looks brand new and I treat it better than most of my family members - let's keep that a secret... I keep the boat in hoist and last weekend i had to lube the hoist - hadn't been done in 4 years. Nevertheless, I was so careful not to over lube as to have it drip onto my boat. However, I had a few friends out that weekend and one of them somehow got some lube on their feet and well, you guessed it, she made a nice litte print on the carpet right behind the drivers seat. Yes, she is still alive; although, I did look at my 12 gauge I keep in the boat house (snakes) and dreamed for a few seconds...

Anyone have a good solution for getting industrial grease out of carpet? I have already tried simple green - didn't work.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
For general cleaning, I get a good brush and some Tide dissolved in warm water. Scrub, scrub, scrub. Then power wash the carpet and all the suds into the bilge. Follow with the shop vac and allow time for it to completely dry.

For stubborn stuff, there's some stuff you can buy called "Spot Shot" that gets almost anything out. The can has an orange top on it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
I kow this sounds crazy but you can clean up dirty oil with clean oil. apply very small amount of clean motor oil and rub area. when it has broken up the dirty spot clean with a degreaser like dish soap. Be sure to get out all soap because soap attracks and holds dirt. Hose it down real good and wetvac out water. I soak my carpet without soap once a year and wetvac out the dirty water.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003-X9
Try to lift grease out by blotting with clean rags. Spray with WD-40 ( lubricant ), then blot agin. Apply dish soap ( Sunlight ) as this will lift grease. Blot/rinse/blot/rinse/blo and keep going. You may also use a shop vac to lift rinse/wash water. Just dont rub as this ill spread the spo.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Try scrubbing it with orange hand cleaner.. Works good on clothes...
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 PM
RedStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentsmith12
I have a '96 Sammy and I'm a freak about keeping it in top condition. The boat basically looks brand new and I treat it better than most of my family members - let's keep that a secret... I keep the boat in hoist and last weekend i had to lube the hoist - hadn't been done in 4 years. Nevertheless, I was so careful not to over lube as to have it drip onto my boat. However, I had a few friends out that weekend and one of them somehow got some lube on their feet and well, you guessed it, she made a nice litte print on the carpet right behind the drivers seat. Yes, she is still alive; although, I did look at my 12 gauge I keep in the boat house (snakes) and dreamed for a few seconds...

Anyone have a good solution for getting industrial grease out of carpet? I have already tried simple green - didn't work.
Grab her by the back of the head, push her nose down into the soiled spot and firmly repeat, "No No!"
Then, swat her butt with a rolled-up newspaper.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '01 PS 190 EVO, 330 LTR, Powerslot, PP Dig Pro, ZeroFlex minitower
**disclaimer**
I only do the following because I will be replacing the carpeting this winter (though it doesn't seem to have hurt anything)

The previous owner had an oil spill that wouldn't come out and a few other stains. He damaged the carpet with some type of solution at the oil stain, hence the planned replacement. I took it to the local car wash and used the "soap" setting on the pressure washer (not the engine cleaner setting) and rinsed thoroughly with the transom shower later that morning (softer water). All spots are now gone and, except for the previous damage, The 4 year old carpet looks brand new. Y.M.M.V.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
call Service Master or a carpet cleaning service to come to your boat, $35 and it will look as new! I do our party barge, four winns, and my boat every two years, charge $90 for all three boats and they come to the marina, I just bring the boats to them at the dock.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Okay, this may sound weird, but how do you keep that soft fluffy feel to the carpet?

Under my rear seat, the carpet is really soft, but in the more traveled sections of the boat, it has gotten to be hard, and doesn't have any "depth" to it....

I know this may sound crazy, but it is true!

How do I fix it????
Old 06-24-2005, 10:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Erk, I think that many of the previously mentioned techniques will help. Scrubbing it with a stiff brush and rinsing it afterward will help a lot. You probably need to use a clean and dry brush afterward to "raise the nap" of the carpet; just rub it in all directions until you see the fibers stand up. It may never be as fluffy as the other carpet, but it will help.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner