Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Sorry for the delayed response on my part and thx for all the comments. You all have given me quite a bit to consider. Covi, thx for taking the time to provide that level of detail in your response. I know that took a few minutes to craft a response that detailed. JimN if there anything you don't know about? I'm signing you up for Jeopardy.

I have 17 "regular" size windows, 2 small (like 2x2') and one large bay window (currently it has 5 sub windows) that bows out of the house slightly. So, based on some of your estimates of $1000 an opening, that is in the $25k ball park.

My wife and I have some more discussing to do and we are going to get some estimates before making any decisions.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD View Post
Sorry for the delayed response on my part and thx for all the comments. You all have given me quite a bit to consider. Covi, thx for taking the time to provide that level of detail in your response. I know that took a few minutes to craft a response that detailed. JimN if there anything you don't know about? I'm signing you up for Jeopardy.

I have 17 "regular" size windows, 2 small (like 2x2') and one large bay window (currently it has 5 sub windows) that bows out of the house slightly. So, based on some of your estimates of $1000 an opening, that is in the $25k ball park.

My wife and I have some more discussing to do and we are going to get some estimates before making any decisions.
The reason I know about this is that it directly affects me- I'm required to take the 8 hour training and pay the $375 certification fee. Plus, there are all kinds of forms I'll need to fill out, extra prep/cleanup time to bill for and I also have to keep the records on hand if the friendly folks from the EPA stop by.

I just get all gooey inside when I think about new government regulations. I think it may be from the excess stomach acid, dissolving my innards.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

2) forget the double hungs....go with crank-out casements all the way around....much quieter! I've never owned a double hung window that didn't wistle and make noise in a strong wind. All casements in my last house except for 3 double hungs(2nd floor) and hated them. This house has all crank-out casemenets.
I have a mix, and although I like the casements, one negative is unless you have substantial overhangs, depending on the wind, I prefer not to have them cracked open if a light / medium rain is going on, since the top of the window is exposed. Double hung you can do this as long as it doesn't blow in. Silly thought, but enough to make me want to put a 2-3 foot overhang on the wall that has 6 of these...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The reason I know about this is that it directly affects me- I'm required to take the 8 hour training and pay the $375 certification fee. Plus, there are all kinds of forms I'll need to fill out, extra prep/cleanup time to bill for and I also have to keep the records on hand if the friendly folks from the EPA stop by.

I just get all gooey inside when I think about new government regulations. I think it may be from the excess stomach acid, dissolving my innards.
Good thing I don't drink coffee, or I'd have spewed it all over my keyboard laughing so hard!
I work for a commercial GC, and our superintendents are starting to get trained for this. What a bunch of **** IMHO. Sounds like there is no money in the budget for enforcement by the EPA for now, but rumor has it that all this training at $375 per will sure start a nice fund for enforcement...
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
$1000 per opening sounds really steep!

We replaced all windows in our house (albeit 7 or so years ago) and it was nowhere near $1000 an opening. Our cost was more like $350 an opening. No we didn't go with the best window on the market, but did go with a decent window that has worked well for us.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
BriEOD,

Your figure of around 25k is about right. Especially if you're including the replacement of a bow unit. In-fact a bow unit installed by us generally can't be done for under 4000.00. The figure of 1000 - 1300 should be including product, labor, misc. materials, tax and disposal. The whole nine yards.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Well I'll jump in on the subject too since we are starting a remodel project ourselves.

We went down to Pella yesterday and looked at their showroom and discussed the different types they had. The sales guy did pretty much confirm that we should steer away from the vinyl windows because they flex a lot and are not nearly the performer as some of the upper end ones.

The minimum he recommended was their "Impervia" fiberglass composite window. Much stiffer than vinyl and a much better product overall. He also indicated that the window comes with a lifetime warranty. Additionally, the windows won't expand and contract with the weather....definitely something to consider here in Colorado.

The next step up were the wood framed ones and they were definitely nice.....however, the warranty was only 10 - 20 years. They were very smooth acting and looked top quality, but I am really concerned about the performance in our climate.

The sun just eats up the wood and dries them out terribly. Wind and snow also don't help. I've seen a lot of wood windows.....Pella included, that have sagged or in someway, make closing and opening very difficult. Is this normal performance for wood type windows?

I hate to spend a ton of money only to have them warping and not sealing well in a 10 year time span.

Oh, and by the way.....the house was originally built in the 50's so the new rule will apply .

We are looking to replace or add about 30 windows.

Thanks for any help!

The property is very cool.....the house, we're working on it.
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-02-2010, 05:30 PM
MC Devotee

Ski - Me, great looking spot. Yup your right unfourtunatly you fall under the new EPA rule. Bummer! The Pella Impervia is not a bad unit. One thing about is the wrap that is used under the cap makes the window NOT smooth. Look at it close when you have a chance. I think there re much better fiberglass products on the market. However they are backed by the Pella name. I would suggest you look into the Marvin Integrity line. Fiberglass out / wood in. They do make a full fiberglass line but, I would stay clear of that.

As far as performance of wood windows. Depending how they are constructed they may expand and contract which would hinder the performance. Wood is good if properly maintained.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Covi, I appreciate the advice and feedback. Because of your comments, we have already put the Marvin windows in the mix and also looked at your website. We did take a look at our local Marvin supplier and found out that we just purchased a bunch of doors for another house from the same company last year. This should help us in the overall pricing.

I do like the look of the wood generally speaking (on the inside) but we also had some of the old, Oldach, wooden frame windows from the 80's that were terrible. Pretty much our entire neighborhood has them. I'm just a little concerned about the expansion and contraction here.

The property is amazing...5+ acres, in town. Pretty hard to find on it's own but we also got it from a bank....aka great deal! The house, on the other hand, needs a lot of work and we are trying to keep the remodel within the same structure + a new garage.

Thanks again.

On another note.....snowing again today. Still can't get the boat in the water.....

1994 205, LT1

Last edited by Ski-me; 05-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
MC Devotee

Ski-Me

My pleasure, anything at anytime just let me know. We here in VT had (in some areas, 20 mile radius) 20" +/- of snow on Wed. last week. And today I was out boating with a buddy and actually saw people swimming. The Thermometer on my porch (in the shade) read 90 degrees at 1:30 pm. It's nuts.