Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
I think Rick Lakes used to be in the window business...
But he didn't log in for a long time...Must have remarried!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
no pictures of the house or at least the garage?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
no pictures of the house or at least the garage?
At least there's someone else out there that wants to see some pictures, so I'll gladly step up and speak for the both of us when I say ....
Attached Images

(865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
friant9@aol.com

I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
atlfootr

Last edited by atlfootr; 04-28-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD View Post
We just closed on our new (to us) house (neighborhood is right on the river we have a ramp and boat slips). One pressing issue with the house is the windows. The house was built in 68 and the windows are original. We are going to have them replaced and I'm looking for any comments/suggestions. I think we want white vinyl that are Energy Efficient. I know Pella and Anderson offer deals and you can go to Lowes/Home Depot as well. I'm not looking to break the bank as I need about 20 windows and one is a big bay window.

Thx ahead of time.
You should probably go out and look at what's available- some are name brand but have a really cheezy feel and don't operate very well.

FYI- as of 4/22/2010, the EPA requires that any work on houses built before 1978 and using lead paint be tested for the presence of lead by someone trained in testing and abatement. This applies to all homes, there's no "grandfather clause" for rental units that are owner-occupied, the jobsite is required to be cleaned at the end of each day and any dust has to be removed using a vacuum with a HEPA filter. The EPA requires documentation for this and says the testing and cleanup can't be listed as a specific charge on the invoice.

This applies to any contractor who disturbs more than 6 square feet of wall space on the inside or 20 square feet of exterior surface- this means remodeling, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, low voltage or any other kind of work that causes paint chips to be dislodged or paint dust to become airborne.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You should probably go out and look at what's available- some are name brand but have a really cheezy feel and don't operate very well.

FYI- as of 4/22/2010, the EPA requires that any work on houses built before 1978 and using lead paint be tested for the presence of lead by someone trained in testing and abatement. This applies to all homes, there's no "grandfather clause" for rental units that are owner-occupied, the jobsite is required to be cleaned at the end of each day and any dust has to be removed using a vacuum with a HEPA filter. The EPA requires documentation for this and says the testing and cleanup can't be listed as a specific charge on the invoice.

This applies to any contractor who disturbs more than 6 square feet of wall space on the inside or 20 square feet of exterior surface- this means remodeling, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, low voltage or any other kind of work that causes paint chips to be dislodged or paint dust to become airborne.

Not a chance anyone would pay to be in compliance with this nonsense. Jus Sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
[/b]

Not a chance anyone would pay to be in compliance with this nonsense. Jus Sayin.
I'm sure you have read all of the BS that goes along with this, like the $32,500/day fines/incident, $1000/day for not being certified, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than a tax on homeowners who just happen to own homes that are older. Just another way to grab some of our cash and make it look like they're concerned for our well-being. The vast majority of the houses that have had exposure violations are in the inner cities, owned by slumlords. You know the kind- the ones that have paint chips so big the kids ask for some dip or salsa.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
BriEOD-

I work here www.wdbrownell.com check it out we are a Marvin window and door show case dealer. My job function is installation sale manager. I am certainly not here to sell you a Marvin brand window but more to give you the info that you are looking for. Some earlier posts had some great things to say tax credits, and EPA regulations. They are all true. Now to the windows.

I just got back from the Marvin factory in Warroad MN. where I was being scholed on compeitive products. I was able to touch and feel most other manufactures. I can say I do sell one of the best products on the market. That said it is also one of the most expensive.

Marvin has several lines of windows. Example Marvin extruded aluminum clad exterior / wood interior. Integrity by Marvin fiberglass exterior wood interior, as well as a full fiberglass window. The Integrity is considered more of a stream line product with less bells and whistles with out jeopardizing any major performance. I would not recommend the Integrity full fiberglass line at all. I feel as though they are not meant for a home but rather for commercial use. However I would recommend the Integrity wood interior if money is any issue. You are able to choose several exterior maintenance free colors as well as a pre painted interior or bare wood. If money is no object by all means Marvin aluminum clad series is top notch. Fit in finish is perfect, tolerances are with in a 1/16" on any joint. joint are all mitred rather then butt.

As far as installation. you can expect to pay approx. 1000.00 - 1300.00 per opening depending on size and spec. This is a very realistic number.

The government is offering a tax credit (check in hand) for energy star rated windows that have a solar heat gain coefficient of .30 and a U- factor of .30 or lower. Most of the Marvin products meet this out of the box with the standard low E II w/ argon gas. However if they don't most often the lass can be changed to an up grade of low E 366. Be careful and do your home work on this for the government was not thinking of the entire US when the new criteria was introduced. For instance We people that live in the northern teir of the US rely on the solor heat gain in the winter and want as much sun warming our home. That said why would I pay on average 30$ more to change the glass surface that will not be heping? The reason is most people say screw the government finally they are coughing up some cash, so I want it. Well you want it for all the wrong reasons. Again educate yourself or call me and I give you a quick run down.

There is a new law in affect as of the 22nd of April and it does state if the home was built prior to 1978 lead safe practices will need to be used. I just finished my class to be certified in lead based practices. And oh my god is it crazy what we are required to do. Not to mention at what cost. Remember that cost is going directly to the home owner and it's not cheap. Each home will be different but be prepared for it. I would also do home work on this as well.

There are many, many window manufactures in the market today. I would suggest multiple quotes from multiple dealer. I would stay clear of any vinyl window product as for they are junk. Sorry to all the people with them. It is my opinion. There are a few on the market today that cost top dollar and you know what they same you get what you pay for. In this case it's just not true. Marvin, Lapage, Kolbe & Kolbe, and Eagle make a very nice product. Anderson has fell by the wayside where they put all there emphasis on marketing. And it works. When I think of Anderson I think of Kleenex everyone knows Kleenex brand. Don't be fooled.

Anyway enough for now I getting hungry thinking about all this. Please PM me if you want my number and I would be more than happy to give you a quick run down. Not to mention I could certainly quote your project to see if your local dealer is putting it to you. On any window order you should never pay retail. In fact you should receive anywhere from 15 - 25% off retail. Again let me know I would be more than happy to help you with pricing.

Covi
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I'm sure you have read all of the BS that goes along with this, like the $32,500/day fines/incident, $1000/day for not being certified, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than a tax on homeowners who just happen to own homes that are older. Just another way to grab some of our cash and make it look like they're concerned for our well-being. The vast majority of the houses that have had exposure violations are in the inner cities, owned by slumlords. You know the kind- the ones that have paint chips so big the kids ask for some dip or salsa.
I'm just glad that the building inspectors don't have to enforce that ridiculous nonsense.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
There is a new law in affect as of the 22nd of April and it does state if the home was built prior to 1978 lead safe practices will need to be used. I just finished my class to be certified in lead based practices. And oh my god is it crazy what we are required to do. Not to mention at what cost. Remember that cost is going directly to the home owner and it's not cheap. Each home will be different but be prepared for it. I would also do home work on this as well.

I would never ask for this service, first of all the area has been encapsulated for years and no longer is an issue at all, secondly only an idiot would let their infant play in the temporary const. debris. There is no money in this nation to fund compliance for an ill thought-out piece of regulation. Same is true of the asbestos and mold regulations and the scams that followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Two thoughts....

1) buy them energy efficient enought to take advantage of Obama Bucks....$1500 tax credit for putting in new energy efficient replacement windows....make sure they meet the requirement

2) forget the double hungs....go with crank-out casements all the way around....much quieter! I've never owned a double hung window that didn't wistle and make noise in a strong wind. All casements in my last house except for 3 double hungs(2nd floor) and hated them. This house has all crank-out casemenets.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843