Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar, 240, 1989, 454
Any info on a 1989 Maristar 240?

Hello all,

I have a 1989 Maristar 240. I am trying to find out what might be the best placement for ballast to produce a steep but firm wake with a kick at the top. I have 1350lbs of ballast in the back, 500 in the center locker and 100lbs in the bow. When standing on the swim deck the water level is at our shins.

I know there are hundreds of ballast threads, my problem is I can't find much info about the hull design of the Maristar in 1989. It is my understanding that different hull designs like different weight distribution. I have read that many Mastercrafts love weight in the bow.

Does anyone know what this years hull design likes when it comes to weight distribution?

One other nagging question, can a wake be steep with a nice lip but yet be soft? I just can't dial it in.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
I would first check that you are not overloading the boat. That sounds like too much ballast if the water is up at your shins!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertens View Post
Hello all,

I have a 1989 Maristar 240. I am trying to find out what might be the best placement for ballast to produce a steep but firm wake with a kick at the top. I have 1350lbs of ballast in the back, 500 in the center locker and 100lbs in the bow. When standing on the swim deck the water level is at our shins.

I know there are hundreds of ballast threads, my problem is I can't find much info about the hull design of the Maristar in 1989. It is my understanding that different hull designs like different weight distribution. I have read that many Mastercrafts love weight in the bow.

Does anyone know what this years hull design likes when it comes to weight distribution?

One other nagging question, can a wake be steep with a nice lip but yet be soft? I just can't dial it in.

Thanks in advance
The MariStar 240 or any of the early MariStar hulls were never designed for additional ballast for wakeboarding, surfing or anything more than recreational waterskiing and luxury cruising. That's the reason you can't find much info on loading them up with ballast for a better wake.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I have a 91 prostar and was told for the best wake to put a 500LBS sac on each side of the engine and 250 in the bow and one to replace the rear seat (which is over the weight limit of my boat). I haven't done this but a guy at my local dealer told me that would create the best wake for my boat.

From my understanding you want to get the boat to settle level when not moving. You don't want to put a bunch of weight in the rear but evenly distribute for the best wake.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X-Star L-18, 1995 PS 190 TBI
Ahhh my first MasterCraft.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Aggie View Post
Ahhh my first MasterCraft.
The Maristar or the Prostar? Any good tips for the Maristar?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
how does the wake look currently?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
how does the wake look currently?
Thanks for the participation!

The size of the wake is great and pretty steep as well. As a prerequisite I will say I rode behind a 23' gravity games addition moomba before I broke away and bought this boat for myself. Brand X boat did not have the amount of ballast or the height of the wake but had more kick at the top. You could feel the spring when you left the wake.

I am just wondering if my current wake might not be "firm" enough for a good launch from what I have read about lack of weight in the bow of the boat.

The only visual of the wake I have is a video on my facebook page. I will try to find a still shot to upload.

Thanks again...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
Good to see another 240 owner on the board! did you get a bow rider or SC?

Here's mine:

Back in 01 I pissed off my B-I-L's friends that had all bought new malibu wake setters. First I out ran them in my big fat pig of an inboard. HO 454 VS 350s = no contest. Then they boarded behind me and were pissed that my wake was huge and every bit as good as theirs'.

Did I mention mine cost way less than half of what they paid! 10 years later my 240 is doing nothing but getting better, and their malibus have all long since been sold off.

After I get my tower installed I'll start looking for a ballast system.

Good luck,

Matt
Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 MC X-9 350 MCX
A friend of mine has this boat...I think his is an 89 240.

It's his first inboard. The guy that wake boards with me sometimes will often ride in this 240 and says the wake is large anyway. Has a 454 engine I think, and that struggles when the boat is loaded down.

Then again, most of these guys are young single dudes who ride bikes and boats. They usually have the two legged double ballast accessories in generous supply -- they weight the boat the old fashioned way!!!

Tags
1989, ballast, maristar