Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 190 1998 Indmar 350
What rope and handle to get for fatboy friendly?

Ok, so after installing my new thermostat yesterday morning, my buddy and his new girlfriend come over and we take the boat out to the lake. Put it in, let it reach operating temperature by the dock, all is good. Idle out of the no wake zone, and into the surrounding cove where I like to hang out, because not alot of people come back there (other than the residents). My buddy has never been waterskiing before so I help him slip on my skiis, and tell him all of what he needs to do to get up and go side-to-side.

So I go to pull him and the rope breaks on initial grunt. Throw him the back-up (this one was pretty old, but figured I'd try it anyways). That one breaks on initial grunt as well. So I remember reading a post from last year, and it seems that alot of you guys like Accurate products. Got my new Bart's catalog in, and it seems they've got different handles for wakeboarding and waterskiing, yet they look no different from each other. One ski handle had a 15 degree bend in it, but that was it. I need a rope and handle that'll pull somebody that's 250lbs (friend is 6' tall, 250lbs, big boy). The only difference I've seen in material would be that one is nylon (or something thereabout) and the other looks like some sort of strong cable-looking stuff.

I've been waterskiing for a couple of years now, but have always used the same ole' ropes so I'm not too sure what to look for, so my weekends don't get shortened because of broken ropes and handles. Any advice on what to get???
Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None, but looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAL98 View Post
Any advice on what to get???
A larger set of skis.
A larger person needs more ski to get up. While a stronger rope might help some, increasing the size of the skis will help larger people get up easier.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
I'll second the larger ski and add one comment. With a big dude like that you might consider getting him up on a pair of combos first. Then as he progresses you can teach him to drop one ski.
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Any major brands ropes (Masterline,Accurate,Straight line and such...) won't break even with a 400 lbs skier in tow.You ropes seems to be really old...
Just get a new one AND a new handle from those brands and you'll be good to go!
Accurate's ones are fine with me!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
I'm 6'3" 220. been using Accurate and Straightline ropes and handles and 69" slalom ski for over a quarter century. Never had a problem.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
If he is having a hard time getting up on slalom I would definitely recommend an "easy up" handle. This will keep the ski and the pull nice and straight. This is a must for beginning slalom skiers.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I replace my rope every year. If it has any fraying It is going to turn into dock line quick. This is why I own about 10 ropes. I have Straight Line and Accurate ropes. I use one all summer and then retire them for teaching light weight skiers under 100 lbs. or dock line. After a season there is about 200 to 300 sets skied on a rope so getting a new one every year insures me a good known rope. It also lets me aquire ropes fast. If I were to drag a Big man up they would be on a new rope and it will not break.

Get a high strand count from either company and it will be a better rope. The lower end ropes from either company are not as good IMO and they dont roll back up easy. Spend a little more on a good rope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Teach him good technique too!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well, 2 days after it broke, I was in need of a rope and handle, so I stopped by the local marine store on the way to mom's dock and ramp and picked one up. Worked great for me, and the $25 rope and handle will last me all season. BUT I will definately follow the advice, and be ordering a nice Accurate rope and handle for him. Gotta take care of him, since he's my driver and all

Side note: Big Boy was on a pair of combos when they broke He's trying to talk me into getting a tube, which I will most likely end up doing since that's what'll keep the girls amused
Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Teach him good technique too!
Knees bent, skiis tucked, rope on your chest, let's roll....