Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
Thumbs up New vs Old, decisions, decisions.........

For those who don't know, I've a 2008 190 with the LY6. Awesome boat! Someone has made me an offer on it that I can't refuse. Now I'm getting cold feet. If I sell it what should I do? Brand spankin new? Slightly used? Or 15 years old? Believe it or not, I'm leaning towards the 15 year old option and cash in the pocket. I know of a 1995 190 with the LT1 and powerslot combination. Its a Duvall edition with the silver flake. Beautiful boat! Its been in the garage for all of its life and has about 15 hours on it (yes, 15. The guy bought it, was transfered, moved to a house where the boat wouldn't fit, construction company took out garage door, moved boat in, put garage door back up, and the boat still sits in there. Its in the desert west so rust is not an issue) There is not one single blemish on it. It is showroom floor condition. Its a reasonable price, about 1/3 of new boat! Will I miss a new boat? Without a doubt. Is a new boat worth x3 the price? I've convinced myself that its not. What am I giving up? A ski locker in the back and a walk through windshield. Thats it, though both of them are very, very, very handy. BTW, I've owned a 1997 (same hull as 1995) since I've had the 2008. As a matter of fact, I still operate it several times a month (during the summer) so I know what I'm giving up and what I'm not. We're on a private lake so rough water handling is not an issue. The only other thing that was a big deal to my wife (but not me) is the bow rise. The 1997 gets up there pretty good and the nose on the 2008 stays planted. She likes that. Not seeing makes her nervous, though I never really noticed it.

BTW, I really like the 2009 TT 197's with the white top. There's several of them for sale now but nobody seems to want to get rid of one bad enough. If I could find even a decent deal on one I might go that route.

You guys council me please. I need help!

Last edited by bxroads; 03-30-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Really depends on your financial situation. Unless you are a very serious and accomplished slalom skier an older boat makes way more financial sense. I've considered getting rid of my '09 and going older.

There's a sweet '89 for sale that might suit my bill.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
My opinion, buy the '95 and pocket the difference or use it for another toy (like one of these maybe)

Name:  DSC03367.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  55.0 KB

Then you could wait until the 50th anniv prostar comes out in 2018
Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Finacally it makes more sense to conserve. The hospitality industy isn't paying much of a bonus in these economic conditions, that I can assure you.

Another angle to look at it is how often do you find the perfect older boat? I'm not giving up any smoking deals on newer boats. My thought is that I can always sell the older boat and buy a newer one if I regret the decision.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxroads View Post
For those who don't know, I've a 2008 190 with the LY6. Awesome boat! Someone has made me an offer on it that I can't refuse. Now I'm getting cold feet. If I sell it what should I do? Brand spankin new? Slightly used? Or 15 years old? Believe it or not, I'm leaning towards the 15 year old option and cash in the pocket. I know of a 1995 190 with the LT1 and powerslot combination. Its a Duvall edition with the silver flake. Beautiful boat! Its been in the garage for all of its life and has about 15 hours on it (yes, 15. The guy bought it, was transfered, moved to a house where the boat wouldn't fit, construction company took out garage door, moved boat in, put garage door back up, and the boat still sits in there. Its in the desert west so rust is not an issue) There is not one single blemish on it. It is showroom floor condition. Its a reasonable price, about 1/3 of new boat! Will I miss a new boat? Without a doubt. Is a new boat worth x3 the price? I've convinced myself that its not. What am I giving up? A ski locker in the back and a walk through windshield. Thats it, though both of them are very, very, very handy. BTW, I've owned a 1997 (same hull as 1995) since I've had the 2008. As a matter of fact, I still operate it several times a month (during the summer) so I know what I'm giving up and what I'm not. We're on a private lake so rough water handling is not an issue. The only other thing that was a big deal to my wife (but not me) is the bow rise. The 1997 gets up there pretty good and the nose on the 2008 stays planted. She likes that. Not seeing makes her nervous, though I never really noticed it.

BTW, I really like the 2009 TT 197's with the white top. There's several of them for sale now but nobody seems to want to get rid of one bad enough. If I could find even a decent deal on one I might go that route.

You guys council me please. I need help!
WOW, thats a tough choice. Your black 190 is a freaking awesome looking boat and I would find it really hard to part with.

The newer 197 is an awesome boat but it would be important not to add or increase a payment.

The older boat you mentioned is an awesome story that really intrigues me. The boat itself doesn't but if you have pictures of this story that would awesome. Build a garage, put in the boat, fix the door and you cant get it out and let it sit for 15 years! Awesome Barn find there. If I know how this one looks compared to your current 190 I can give you my opinion. And yes, the extra cash would be nice for another toy.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
It's your choice but the 1995 sd 190 is a nice boat.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Double D,
The guy bought a house that had small garage doors, the boat wouldn't fit by only an inch or so. Removing the trim underneath the header allowed enough clearance. They removed it, rolled the boat in, then replaced the trim.

Yellow78,
For 1/3 the price, its a damn nice boat!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
I'd stick with the 197, if the older boat was a 94 I'd say go for it! Cause the 95 has a deeper hull that I'm not a fan of.

But that's just me.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Maybe if it was a pristine curved windshield S&S with an LT1....
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxroads View Post
Double D,
The guy bought a house that had small garage doors, the boat wouldn't fit by only an inch or so. Removing the trim underneath the header allowed enough clearance. They removed it, rolled the boat in, then replaced the trim.
Now that I understand that, it still sat in there for 15 years. Thats the intriguing part. Any Pics??

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams