Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2015, 02:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Boom Help

OK to make the story short got a call from a friend and they said boom at garage sale come check it out. I go over to look at it thinking that they will want a fortune for it bla bla bla. show up never heard of the brand but the lady only wants a few bucks for it literally. I google the name it is a spray marine boom out of michigan, I figure for a backup or to lend to someone great. Anyway it has the strangest boom clamp i've ever seen not even sure how it is supposed to hook up to the pylon unless it goes at the top and is straight out which does not seem correct, see the picture of it below. Also If you look at the other picture I have it setup in the picture below as you can see with the yellow arrow that is where the one cable goes through, where you see the red arrow it currently has an allen screw through the boom there to both sides. I believe this is not supposed to be there. The way i think it is supposed to be setup and please correct me if I am wrong is to have a stainless cable go from the yellow and make a loop and back into the red. Then it would be pulled to the front of the boat like the BI booms and clamped accordingly in the front.

so my question is am I correct or have any knowledge about these booms and am I missing something or just plain wrong?
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2015, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Looks correct to me as is. Straight boom, so the bracket attaches directly to the pylon, and the boom slips over the end. Bracket will likely be 1/2 way up the pylon, maybe higher.

Single cable is fine. Behmann's uses a single cable design, which is what Scarpa used and sold.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Cheap booms are not good

Good booms are not cheap

Personally. me? I'd not put anything of that nature on my boat nor trust the safety of what appears to be little of nothing compared to what is in my above reference. However your question still warrants consideration; single cable support (correct location IMHO) and the clamp looks like it goes around a pylon. The allen screw is OK, I mean something has to hold the two pieces in place.

The cabling does not loop from yellow to red.

Your windshield location (boat make other than "inboard" ....gee that helps a lot) will dictate whether the boom (straight boom) will work or not.

Each to their own....your mileage may vary.... Straight booms do not clear the windshields on most of the older era "newer models" 1987 forward.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....

Last edited by Cloaked; 07-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
As to the red arrow. Doesn't it look like the boom is a two piece unit? The smaller outside end is inserted into the larger piece and held in by the allen screws. I have no knowledge, just a guess.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Updated profile sorry about that. Now back to the boom the 2 parts are still a bit confusing as they do not bolt/bind together in any way. the inner section just has an allen all the way through and the outer section does not have any holes at all except the one the cable is currently in. The only other way I can see this being correct is if the cable goes from the bow of the boat back into the hole where the yellow arrow is at, down to where the red arrow is at, out and back to the bow of the boat and then clamped like the BI booms are. Any thoughts on that possibility?
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

bump because i'm curious if anyone else has any ideas and also the allen bolt is not allen at all it goes all the way through and is just a pressed in pin of some type.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
How far does the smaller diameter piece slide inside the larger diameter piece? Is the larger piece hollow? Could the pin keep the smaller piece from sliding inside the other/act as a stop?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
How far does the smaller diameter piece slide inside the larger diameter piece? Is the larger piece hollow? Could the pin keep the smaller piece from sliding inside the other/act as a stop?
yes the smaller piece does stop there it is ~6 inches from the end so the smaller piece slides into until then.