Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 AM
TT Regular

NEED HELP 99 Indmar 330 MEFI control unit # 16 pin broken off

I was getting the 205v ready for summer in the drive way this weekend. Did all the usual maint. stuff and fired it up, ran for 30 seconds and died and would not restart. Diagnosis found pin number sixteen on the ecm(control unit) was badly corroded to the point of being broken off in the housing on the control unit side. Its broken flush with the connector housing, so Im not sure it can be repaired. Does anyone have any leads on replacment, I couldn't find anything that matches online. Its a Delphi 16237009 series MEFI ecm. Has anyone had water ingress problems with this module due to the placment of the module?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
I have had lots of problems with water getting into it.
I plan on building an aluminum sheild over it, when I get mine running again.
( cant find the problemat the moment) mine shut off 2 weeks ago and is not putting power to the fuel pump. ( had about a teaspoon of water inside the plug )

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by didierz View Post
I was getting the 205v ready for summer in the drive way this weekend. Did all the usual maint. stuff and fired it up, ran for 30 seconds and died and would not restart. Diagnosis found pin number sixteen on the ecm(control unit) was badly corroded to the point of being broken off in the housing on the control unit side. Its broken flush with the connector housing, so Im not sure it can be repaired. Does anyone have any leads on replacment, I couldn't find anything that matches online. Its a Delphi 16237009 series MEFI ecm. Has anyone had water ingress problems with this module due to the placment of the module?
The pins can't be replaced. Contact Indmar and MC about this. MC had a metal cover for the ECM that was necessary because the ECM was mounted under the split between the two halves of the sun pad and water could get in.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
TT Regular

Yeah same thing happeing with mine. There is no signal wire power to the fuel pump relay(green wire). The pin that is broken is a power input pin not a signal wire so I'm sure other circuits in the ecm rely on this powered pin. I ll post some pics later, I have a repair for the module in the works. Dealer list is in the 1200-1600 dollar range. Ill try to fix the pin and board on mine before shelling out that kinda doe.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by didierz View Post
Yeah same thing happeing with mine. There is no signal wire power to the fuel pump relay(green wire). The pin that is broken is a power input pin not a signal wire so I'm sure other circuits in the ecm rely on this powered pin. I ll post some pics later, I have a repair for the module in the works. Dealer list is in the 1200-1600 dollar range. Ill try to fix the pin and board on mine before shelling out that kinda doe.
Google the part number and look on ebay for a used one. The program can be loaded by any MC dealer who has the software. If they have the software and need the program, it would be easy for them to get it from Indmar or MC.

Here's a link that may be useful:
http://www.mefi4.com/

Last edited by JimN; 04-12-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
A good electronics technician could probably fix you up with a good kludge - like soldering a wire to the connector on the inside the ECM, running it out of the ECM (small drill bit and a spot of sealant), then connecting it to the wire harness outside the ECM. It would have to be cut if you ever needed to service/replace the ECM. I would certainly find a way to protect the ECM against ever again seeing a drop of water.

It would have to be done well to keep from failing in a few hours of running, but faced with a $1200 bill and a shortage of funds, I'd give it a try - but then again, I know what end of the soldering iron to hold nine times out of ten. A hack job would give you nothing but headaches for the rest of the life of the boat.

Anyway, just my

/frank
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
A good electronics technician could probably fix you up with a good kludge - like soldering a wire to the connector on the inside the ECM, running it out of the ECM (small drill bit and a spot of sealant), then connecting it to the wire harness outside the ECM. It would have to be cut if you ever needed to service/replace the ECM. I would certainly find a way to protect the ECM against ever again seeing a drop of water.

It would have to be done well to keep from failing in a few hours of running, but faced with a $1200 bill and a shortage of funds, I'd give it a try - but then again, I know what end of the soldering iron to hold nine times out of ten. A hack job would give you nothing but headaches for the rest of the life of the boat.

Anyway, just my

/frank
The ECM is sealed and the jacks are molded around the pins. When the pins go away the way they do like this one did, it's not just from water corroding them- they're gold plated. It's from electrolysis- the B+ and ground pins are close enough together that the moisture causes a weak connection and the metal erodes. Opening the ECM will expose the circuit board but they use a jelly-like substance to keep water from ever contacting the traces and components.

What to replace an ECM with was covered a few years ago- anyone remember the Harley Davidson replacement part ECM?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Anyway, just my

/frank
The ECM is sealed and the jacks are molded around the pins. When the pins go away the way they did on this one, it's not just from water corroding them- they're gold plated. It's from electrolysis- the B+ and ground pins are close enough together that the moisture causes a weak connection and the metal erodes. Opening the ECM will expose the circuit board but they use a jelly-like substance to keep water from ever contacting the traces and components.

What to replace an ECM with was covered a few years ago- anyone remember the Harley Davidson replacement part ECM?

Also, look at the large plugs on the harness and make sure any open wore locations have a silicone rubber plug. If any don't, contact MC and e-mail some clear photos of the plugs, ECM (installed and showing the missing pins) and general condition of the boat. Let them know the hull ID numbers, too.

It's impossible to tell why this wasn't corrected when the recall notice went out and I'm probably going to piss some people off but when boat owners refuse to go to their local dealer for any reason, this kind of situation can occur. It can also happen when a dealer doesn't keep up with their training and service bulletins. People move and they won't always get the bulletin from the manufacturer but not having any dealer contact removes any chance of timely repairs when recalls are sent out.

Last edited by JimN; 04-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the link to the website for MEFI controllers. He has one for a decent price but he did give me the good idea to solder a jumper wire from the printed board to an unsed pin in the J2 connector housing. I think only about 9 or 10 pins are used out of the 32 available. So I soldered the new jumper to the pin next to the broken one and moved the female metpac connector over one cavity. Boat started right up. I sealed the back of the controller and the soldered connections. Until it lays down again, Im gonna call it fixed. Thanks for the insight guys. Oh and I relocated the controller to a better loaction that should help any drips between the pad and the deck from soaking it again.