Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X9
Dock Question Roll-A-Dock Vs. Standard

I've been shopping for a docks recently and have found several options. In MI we need to pull them out in the winter so I was looking at getting a Hewitt Roll-A-Dock. Recently I was told that these are not much easier to install (in the spring) than a standard dock with poles and pads.

I need about 50' of dock, lake has sand bottom with no weeds.

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

The Roll-A-Dock is about double the price of the standard aluminum and wood dock, is it worth the extra money?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 x-2
I have a roll-a-dock and here are a few questions I should have thought before I jumped in to buying it. First are you on a sandy beach, is there a seawall or rocks, stones that are keeping the beach from eroding? The area that you are going to pull it up onto, grass I assume, is it flat enough to get a riding mower or something down there to pull out? Otherwise you'll have to do it by hand, not the hardest thing if you get a few people to break it loose. The grassy area infront of my dock is too steep to get something down there so I have to do it by hand. I have a 40-Shore Master and it doesn't come up all at once, I have to bring in once section then another because of the terrain.

Just some thoughts, if you have a picture of your lake front that would help to see. Also what kind of decking are you thinking about? Some decking is quite a bit heavier then others. Are you just going to do a straight run or some turns as well? Lastly whats the depth out at 50'? I know some Roll-A-Docks have limits as to the depth they will go in.

That was a lot of babble... sorry
Old 04-03-2010, 09:59 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X9
Thanks for the info. The land is flat and grass up to the water. I bought the property at the end of last summer. Right now there is no sea wall or anything the lake goes up to the grass. I have 180' of shore front. I plan on putting in a beach near the dock and lift (about 60' and 120' rock seawall. I'm only estimating 50' of length, straight dock for now possible "L" later. I have not had a chance to measure the depth, but if anything it will be longer I'm at a shallow sandbar.

No pics at this time I'm on vacation but when I get back I can post some.

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
1st year is the hardest no matter what. I can now get 6 sections of dock done in about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Roll a dock will also take up more space in the winter - not sure if that's an issue. The theory of rolling in and anchoring a few post seems nice though. I'd walk down the street and ask neighbors who have them.

Also agree on the question about lake bottom and depth.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Just read your second post..... If you are that shallow, roll a dock may be good since you may need a lot of sections to get that far.....
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
I definitely prefer the roll a dock. Ours is only about 30 feet and it's about 5 feet deep right at the end. Then we have an "L" section off of that that is a regular dock with poles and pads. I think the rolling section is way easier. We're pretty good at the "L" section after doing it for 20 years but personally I would definitely get the roll a dock. All you have to do is roll it in and drop a couple poles.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Our rolling dock is very simple layout and is about 30' long. We put an additional 10' section on each side of the last 10 footer to make a deck at the end of the dock (3 - 10' sections across). The whole dock is installed/removed as a unit. It takes about 30 minutes to install or remove the entire dock. You basically roll it in and adjust the support dock poles and you're done. Reverse the procedure to remove. As far as the dock goes this has to be one of the best purchases we've made.

Our lake bottom is gradually sloping with a sand/muck bottom. If you want to take full advantage of a rolling dock you have to keep the design simple. I wouldn't call our dock a thing of beauty but it is very low maintenance, easy to install/remove and does everything we need it to do. I would highly recommend a rolling dock if your frontage lends itself to the design.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Go for Floe

I checked both and Floe was superior. I have 60' (4 sections) of Floe and a 12' starter ramp. I have put it in / out for over 5 years. 4' wide. Solid bottom. One man can put it in by himself. Need at least 2 to get it rolling to come out. Or in my case, I have a close by anchored post and I attach an electric winch and pull the whole thing in at the end of the season.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
The traditional one-piece roll-in docks are usually a pain once you get over 32'. Floe is a great product and I would highly recommend one. They can be installed one piece at a time or in one large section. I personally think that it is easier to do one at a time. The other advantage to Floe is the screwjack leveling on each leg. This allows you to level the dock without having to go in the water. With this system, all of the legs are mounted under the dock and it makes for a nice clean look.

Check out www.floeintl.com to find your local dealer. You will love the dock!

19 Mastercrafts and counting

Last edited by Datdude; 04-08-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Sea Ray Sport 185
Roll-A-Dock

I enjoy my dock so much I nearly look forward in installing and removing the dock. I have had it for five years. I just hook it to my Mule and away I go, I can literally drive it down the road. I highly recommend this dock. No more back breaking work, woohoo: