Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Bogging Down at 2,350 rpms

Had last week off and spent it at the lake. Broke 600 hours in my boat while I was there. For the most part, she ran like a champ. However, I did notice one thing.

At around 2,350 rpms if I leave it there for a few seconds, just like clock work, she'll bog down and drop about 1,000 rpms. This is not an issue on hole shots up to skiing speeds.

My first thought was that this is related to the new Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and that it might just need a mixture adjustment. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
It depends. The mixture screws, if that's what your referring to, only help with idle, not mid rpm driveability. Does it feel like it's flooding or leaning out?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM
MC Hero

Could be either. Just loosing rpms when I sit at 2,350 for 5 seconds or so. It would make sense that it is running lean since I'm introducing more air than before. It's certainly not getting in the way of skiing as it only occurs if I leave it at that rpm level for a few seconds, which is rarely the case.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:51 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I have the same intake Doug and a Holley 4160 and I haven't noticed any issues like that.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
MC Hero

Have you ever tinkered with your 4160? Mine came set up for the 351. I'm going to put in a call to Vince this afternoon.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Other than adjusting the idle and removing it and fuel line when I changed out intakes, no. Call Vince, or wait until Jim comes along. You've had some weird problems with carbs.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
MC Hero

I emailed Vince. Hope to hear back soon. I'd qualify this as only a minor nuisance as it doesn't interfere with accelleration to ski speeds, skiing, or idling. If it's more than a few tweeks, I'll probably just wait to mess with it until close to the end of the season.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club