Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 197 Team Tournament Edition
Heater Installation ?? for '09 197 TT

I am getting ready to install a 2 vent hearter in my '09 197 TT. Does anyone know if there is a recommended location for the heater box? Is the factory install behind the kickboard panel in the cockpit (i.e. in front of the drivers seat)? I can see there are 2 screws to remove this panel; are there any tricks or "need to knows" before removing this? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Factory location is under the observer's seat with a hot-tube under the observer's seat and a vent in the driver's kick panel. I relocated my core and fan to the driver's side to gain room under the observer's seat. It is a tight install under the driver's dash, but it is doable. There are also to raceways that run from the engine compartment to the drivers and observers areas, so you can hide the lines under the floor.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
TT Newbie

Sodar, thanks for the input. I will look to see what makes the most sense. Did you install the heater box behind the kick panel or in front? Are there access ports from the observer's seat over to the driver's seat for the vent hose?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Here is the location I installed it behind the kick panel.

Here is the location of the hot tube beneath the observer's seat.

Here is the location where the vent hose comes through the walk through from the driver's to the observer's side. My guess is that this hole is not in your boat and will need to be cut. My boat came with a heater, so this hole was already there.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
TT Newbie

Sodar, Great pics. Thanks a bunch. I will take a look at this when I get home tonight and try to decise where I am going to install the heater box.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM
TT Newbie

Sodar, I looked at my situation and I think I am going with the factory install option. I can actually run the heater hose from the engine, through the cooler drain (because as long as I have had an inboard with a built in cooler in the floor I have never used it as a coller) and into the side wall under the observers seat. I can run the vent hose through the same cooler into the side wall of the cockpit. If I ever wanted to get a 3 vent, it would be easier to change out.

Thanks for the feed back and the great pics. I will add my pics when the project is complete.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Did you finish your heater install? Looking to do one on mine and would like to see pics of the install.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
If you have room for the 3 vent heater with the dbl fan, I'd reccomend it.
Had a 2 vent in my 190 that worked fine, but the triple kicks out a ton more air.
You can get pretty creative with vent locations.
Not the same boat, but I just installed one on my X2 and did not use any of the factory locations. I installed the core/fan in the compartment behind the drivers seat (obviously can't do that in a 197. Ran one duct up under the dash, no cutting or fitting, ziptied it in place blowing at the drivers feet, totally hidden. Ran the 2 hot tubes to the gunnels and cut in 2 new locations to match the cupholder layout. Didn't have to cut any exposed 'glass in the tub.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Sweet install. I'm not sure if I can fit the 3 vent or not. Kinda tight on the X7. I wonder if it would fit under on of the seats up front, not much room up there for anything else.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
If you have room for the 3 vent heater with the dbl fan, I'd reccomend it.
Had a 2 vent in my 190 that worked fine, but the triple kicks out a ton more air.
You can get pretty creative with vent locations.
Not the same boat, but I just installed one on my X2 and did not use any of the factory locations. I installed the core/fan in the compartment behind the drivers seat (obviously can't do that in a 197. Ran one duct up under the dash, no cutting or fitting, ziptied it in place blowing at the drivers feet, totally hidden. Ran the 2 hot tubes to the gunnels and cut in 2 new locations to match the cupholder layout. Didn't have to cut any exposed 'glass in the tub.

Thrall: I am definitely leaning towards the 3 vent, but actually may buy the 4 vent since the unit is the same size. Ref fan speed, is the dbl an extra option that HeaterCraft provides or is this the normal low, med, high fan speed switch that comes with the standard kit?? tks, mac
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012