Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Oh and on boards. I grew up surfing in So Cal and later in Hawaii. Of course this was a while back, but it seems like 4' 6" and up to 5' boards seem to be the starting point on lengths for this kind of stuff.

I'm 170 5' 9" anyone have a solid recommendation on a board?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
bow sac? or locker sac? although you will most likely need wait throughout the boat, you're going to want the majority of your weight in the stern side that you're surfing.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemac View Post
bow sac? or locker sac? although you will most likely need wait throughout the boat, you're going to want the majority of your weight in the stern side that you're surfing.
I was thinking the bow sac as it has been said that would clean the wake up and make it more of a ramp.

I was thinking about 350 up front, 1k in the back, and then 750 on the side surf side. Do you think there would be a difference in bow vs locker sac, IE location and weighting vs the wake shape?

Is there anything that can be done to push the wake farther from the boat? It seems the only thing that has done that is the trim tab type of deals on the new boats.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 750sx
Tim, I know you have moved on from your maristar but did you ever end up setting up your maristar for wake surfing successfully? and what board did you use?

thanks! I have the same boat you had and won't be moving up to a Vdrive for a few more years
Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshockey10 View Post
Tim, I know you have moved on from your maristar but did you ever end up setting up your maristar for wake surfing successfully? and what board did you use?

thanks! I have the same boat you had and won't be moving up to a Vdrive for a few more years
I'll have to look through some files for surfing videos on my 92. I can tell this much, it was never that great. I think it ended up being 2 750 lbs sacs, 1 450 lbs sac. The 750s were along the port and one behind the motor box. The 450 was on the back seat near port.

It wasn't all that great but folks posted it was better then most. I'll see what I can find.

I'm up in Atlanta right now so give me a day or two.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Maristar
You need to put as much ballast as you can, mainly on the side you want to surf. I have put 2000lbs in my 2000 210VRS and would do more (I just bought some more). I have 2 pumps so two people can work at the same time and cut down on the set-up time. It only takes 30 minutes when you are changing sides with lots of bags.

I just looked up your boat. Load the back, the side floor, and maybe the font. You can stack 500 lb bags on the floor next to the engine, the more you put in there the bigger the wave. Do it at your own risk, I have not tested anything on your boat. You will be overloading your boat capacity.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

Right now we are just getting into it and just took the bindings off of an old wakeboard that is 4'9". With a bunch of lead in the front. 250 on the port and 6 guys in the boat all loaded on the port side except the drive I can surf for a little bit then the board limits me and I have to grab the rope again. So I'd be really interested in any pictures/videos you may have and what board to go with as right now we are just hacking it together for a little fun bc that's all that matters right? Thank you!!

Last edited by vshockey10; 09-05-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Right now we are just getting into it and just took the bindings off of an old wakeboard that is 4'9". With a bunch of lead in the front. 250 on the port and 6 guys in the boat all loaded on the port side except the drive I can surf for a little bit then the board limits me and I have to grab the rope again. So I'd be really interested in any pictures/videos you may have and what board to go with as right now we are just hacking it together for a little fun bc that's all that matters right? Thank you!!
Here's a link to the video of my 92 Maristar.

This is with 2 750s, one behind the motorbox near the port wall and one running down the port wall. There is also a 450 on top of the port wall 750. There are 2 adults in the boat port side of rear seat, one teenager in the passanger seat and an adult driver.

What I learned from this was I was never going to get the kind of wake I wanted out of the 92. Moreover, it was hard on the boat moving that kind of weight around. Well, I sold it and moved on.

Hopefully you'll have better luck then I did.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
TT Regular

were you ever able to surf with out the rope, what board did you use? think messing with the platform like you did on your new boat would have helped the 92? sorry for all the questions but you seem to be the go to guy on this boat.

did you have an aftermarket prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Here's a link to the video of my 92 Maristar.

This is with 2 750s, one behind the motorbox near the port wall and one running down the port wall. There is also a 450 on top of the port wall 750. There are 2 adults in the boat port side of rear seat, one teenager in the passanger seat and an adult driver.

What I learned from this was I was never going to get the kind of wake I wanted out of the 92. Moreover, it was hard on the boat moving that kind of weight around. Well, I sold it and moved on.

Hopefully you'll have better luck then I did.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
were you ever able to surf with out the rope, what board did you use? think messing with the platform like you did on your new boat would have helped the 92? sorry for all the questions but you seem to be the go to guy on this boat.

did you have an aftermarket prop?
Short of putting lead in the rear port corner I do not believe the boat would get a better wave. That said, there was no way I was willing or would suggest that anyone use lead weights for ballast.

At the very end I could surf without the rope but not for very long. The board is a CWB ride skim style. I bet you'd have better luck with a non skim style board. They have more loft and seem to be a bit more forgiving in the smaller wave boats.

I never thought about the platform in the 92. Mine had those grab rails that ran all the way back so you really couldn't modify it even if you wanted to.

No worries, if you have any more questions just post them up.

And I had the stock 13x13 prop.