Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-19-2004, 09:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
1990 Tristar gas tank

New to the forum. New to inboards. I have an old Tristar, that I'm refurbishing.

How many gallons, does the stock gas tank hold? The boat has had multiple owners, last owner didn't know, if tank had been changed.

The tank, currently in the boat, is plastic and doesn't have any internal
baffles. So fuel moves around, quiet a bit. Plus, fuel guage never reads correctly (haven't pulled the fuel float, yet.)

I haven't drained my tank, and refilled, to determined its capacity.

Just needing, specs, before I pull the tank.

Nice site. Been lurking on it, awhile.

ET
Old 08-19-2004, 09:35 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
etduc

Um, I dont know
Old 08-19-2004, 10:21 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
A lot of the early 90s boats eventually have problems with the fuel sending units. I've heard of people fixing them and I've heard of people replacing them. Just depends on what your comfort level with doing that is. Since I'm not terribly mechanical, I opted to replace mine. The slosh is typical if my 93 Prostar is a good example.

Not sure what the fuel capacity of the tank was on the 90 Tristar. My manual says I have a 30 gallon tank, but I've heard people say that they aren't getting near the reported capacity. Surely someone with a 1990 boat will have his manual and give you the specs though.

Welcome to the board.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 TriStar 190
88 TriStar 190 Gas Tank

My 1988 TriStar 190 has a 25 gallon tank. The tank is under the floor in front of the engine and drain plug. If yours is there I would bet it is the same.

If you have the TriStar 220 however, it is listed as 34 gallons for the 1988. These amounts are listed in the 1988 Brouchure which is posted in the Downloads section above.

Last edited by jwchapman; 08-19-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Maristar 210 openbow, 1990, 351W
I have a 1990 Maristar 210. Tank is behind the rear bench. It has a 40 gallon capacity. I found this out two ways. First way, ran out of gas because @#$% gage didnít work. Filled tank. Second way, pulled back bench seat, fiberglass, and floor panels out. Tank had a sticker that said 40 gallons.

I opted to replace send unit for about $25. Took only a few minutes. I couldnít find one that was the correct depth. Gas gage reads empty when I still have about 15 gallons. I like to consider this my reserve.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
MC Hero

Wow! 15 gallons is a heck of a reserve. My new sending unit ran me about $70.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Something must be running on the company server, preventing the
downloads from working.

25 gallons is about right. Slosh would be more of an issure, if there's an oversized tank. (Submerging the front, with passengers)

Working on fuel sender, is a piece of cake. I need to pull it, and inspect inside of tank anyway.

This boat makes a bigger wake, than I'd expected. Flattens out at
pretty good at 34. Hull needs major resurfacing. Sonar sender on outside of hull, and some kind of housing over raw water intake. Creating major drag. Which maybe, contributing to wake issues.

Anyway, it's rainy, in East Texas. Gotta get back to work.

ETduc
Old 08-19-2004, 08:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
Tri-Star was not known for it's wake. It's very sensitive to weight, so keep it light. You will never get the gas gauge to work well. I finally was happy with an accurate reading while idling in neutral. It was a very good boat to me for several years. Hated it from day one, but never had a reason to get rid of it.

Tri-Stars hidden feature, place a 2x4 cross beam in the cutouts and rest the seat on it. Add rear supports and something to keep the seat from sliding forward, wahlah, bikini platform

Last edited by phecksel; 08-19-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:03 AM
MC Hero

Man, I gotta start paying more attention. Where in East TX?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-20-2004, 01:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Longview,tx