Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
Wife and I are going to home depot for some 2x12's and are going to do a raised garden bed this year. Im hesitant as far getting the small tiller in there between the rows. Any of you do raised beds? if so what size? we were thinking like 10x24'
Old 02-25-2014, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
Just noticed most of you all's pictures are of raised beds.. shoulda looked harder before I asked.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I used the treated landscaping timbers from Home Depot, looks like a 5-6 inch diameter pole with flats milled on top & bottom, easily stacked to height desired, using 4-5 inch deck screws (3 per timber) and offset the ends each layer. I made our raised beds 4'x8' and use a spade to break up for planting. This size will accomodate 2 rows of tomatoes x 4 plants long (8 total) with easy access from both sides. Next bed will accomodate simliar numbers of various squash with pepper plants between. I plan on doing another similar this year to get an asparagus bed started for the full 8' length and about half the width (takes several years to get established), with the other half in onions and/or new potatoes and/or okra. We live on solid limestone, so I went up 4-5 layers of the landscape timbers to get about 12-16 inches of soil and had to bring in every bit of the soil. Once planted, I use a fine thin layer hardwood mulch to retain moisture. This method allows for paths between each bed for easy access without having to bring in more soil just to walk on.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Out in the garden this morning doing some weeding and getting ready to til it all up!
Huh?

It is going to be -5 here tonight!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
Wife and I are going to home depot for some 2x12's and are going to do a raised garden bed this year. Im hesitant as far getting the small tiller in there between the rows. Any of you do raised beds? if so what size? we were thinking like 10x24'
We have some small raised beds, but also don't plant much.
Attached Images