Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 07:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Weight loss

I think I must have some bear blood in me somewhere down the line. Every fall/winter I fatten up for the cold season. About a month ago I saw an old friend and his first words were, "you're getting fat".

I'm a big framed guy, work out 4-5 times a week and at 6'2", 228 I wasn't huge but that is pretty large for me. So I set my plan into action. I was eating badly, drinking way too many soft drinks, as many as 4 or 5 a day, and probably too much beer. So a month ago I made a change, good breakfast with minimal carbs followed by good clean meals the rest of the day. No soft drinks (no sweetend drinks period), mainly just water and just a beer or two a week. I'm down 17 lbs in the last month and can already see my goal of 205 coming soon.

It's that time of year, what is everyone else doing?

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I go through a 15lb change almost every year like clockwork. Usually do light lifting and hiit on the elliptical, rowing, or treadmill every other day. My problem is around mid dec to end of jan our gym is a madhouse with the resolutions crowd. I skip out for a month, eat like crap, and gain 10-15.

Got back on my "good diet" 3 weeks ago. I do shakes/smoothies 3x a day and 2-3 other small meals, strictly hiit for a bit, and usually I come back down. This year looking to drop an additional 5 to get back to college weight so goal is 15 lbs down in the next 2 mo.

Great job on the 17! Thats a huge number for a month. Make sure you aren't cutting too fast or you'll go into starvation mode, kill your metabolism, and it'll all backfire. Slow and steady is the key in my mind.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
As soon as the weather breaks I'll be back on 4.X miles of walking a night, 24+ miles a week (with the Husky), all the while watching calories. (Eat a lot of Lean Cuisine meals...) Best way for me to lose the weight and keep it off.

I have a eating disorder. I want to eat all the time!!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
(Eat a lot of Lean Cuisine meals...)
Get off the processed crap and you'll be much happier. They lack real nutriets, fiber, and are generally just low calorie crap. Switch to a quality mrp if you need a good in between meal.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
Get off the processed crap and you'll be much happier. They lack real nutriets, fiber, and are generally just low calorie crap. Switch to a quality mrp if you need a good in between meal.
MRP? My goal is to track calories and if I cant calculate, I'll overdue.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM
TT Regular

Meal replacement IE shake, etc.

Basic read:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md79.htm

I had the same problem with calories. I use Lose it app on my phone. It has a library of most foods you can find. Also found a cheap food scale from bb&b really helped me get a feel for what a size of meat looked like to calculate. Slap a chicken breast on it in 2 seconds and you really get to know your intake. I log myself daily which takes 10 seconds and I know whether I need to up or lower my intake.

The basic theory is burning or reducing 3500 calories below your maintinance level gives you 1 lb of weight loss. So if you want to lose 2lbs a week you need to cut 7k calories a week. You can do that eating pizza but you aren't getting the right macros etc. Eating clean with a good mix of fruits, veggies, and lean proteins will do wonders over cheap lean cuisines.

Big thing is though eating crap like Lean cuisines isn't going to really get you to your goals. You want clean hi protein meals. I also suggest doing hiit or high intensity interval training along with liss. Keeps your body guessing and burning fat. I do elliptical ALOT to keep my knees as impact free as possible but change alternate my routines.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I've been doing the same thing since I retired. Add about 15 or 20 in cold months and then drop it off when it starts to warm up. For me it's a pretty simple task.

Fresh fruit, coffee and a hard boiled egg for breakfast then a can of tuna for lunch(nothing added), then baked fish or chicken for dinner with some steamed veggies. I save all the other calories for beer. I can drop 3 to 5 lbs a week with out any exercise. If I toss in a couple of 5 mile runs a week I get to drink more beer.

Sometimes I'll put myself on the 1 beer for every mile you run plan. That turns into the run 4 or 5 miles 6 or 7 days a week plan. lol
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
My current problem is that my house is a disaster from all the reno work that I have no way to get my exercise in at home (sure as hell not exercising outside right now!).

Here is to hoping that once the reno calms down I can get back into a routine. Before everything went nuts I was down about 8lbs. Then the holidays and the reno happened and pretty much lost all that ground. Oh well life happens.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
You guys will get a kick out of my current excercise routine. I haven't been in the gym since the weather turned cold. We heat our home with a Hardy wood fired heater.

Everyday after work, I go home and split wood, the old fashioned way, for 20 to 30 minutes. GREAT excercise and it has a purpose.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I'm down about 6-7 lbs for about the past month. I do cardio at the gym about 3x a week for a minimum of 2 hours each time then follow up with a little on the weights. My downfall is diet. Wife keeps bringing home lots of junk food and will not stop it. I need impose a lot more self control on myself.
-----
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
-----
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me