Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Boat: 06 X30
$18 vs $165. I'm sure you could find a local machine shop that would press out the seal and bearing for less then $50 bucks.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Maristar View Post
$18 vs $165. I'm sure you could find a local machine shop that would press out the seal and bearing for less then $50 bucks.
$50 to press in the seal, $10 in fuel each way to get to the machine shop, new impellar $40, plus labor/time for all that driving and removing and reinstalling the part.

So, $110 plus all the labor and you still have a used pump.....I'd rather spend a bit more and know that everything is brand new.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
Any special tools needed to replace the seal? tks, mac
To replace the seal without pressing the shaft out you need a thin plier or something, be aware that it's very easy to scrathc the shaft this way. If you press the shaft out, a workshop press is very handy, but a hammer would do as well I guess;-)
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft
I am in the processing of replacing the entire pump. I removed the 3 machine screws that bolt to the flywheel and I cannot break the pump loose? Anybody else had this problem? if so, any ideas how to remove the pump?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
You will need a BFH to remove that pump!

(lol... that stands for Big F ing Hammer)

Seriously, just give it a little tap tap and it should fall right off...
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
TT Newbie

i tried that, i beat on it with a hammar. I dont want to knock the fly wheel out of alignment either. If I were to use a torch to heat it up to break the rust free, should I heat the fly wheel or the water pump base? its seized pretty good.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
First of all the fly wheel is in the bell housing where the starter turns the engine over. The pump you are looking at has 3 hex hed or allen bolts that bolt through the crank shaft pulley. All three bolts are in the Harmonic balancer wich is pressed on to the crank shaft and has a really big bolt. You will not bend the pulley or the balancer or crank. If you look at the L shaped bracket that is bolted to your right with 2 bolts that are bolting the L shaped bracked on verticaly they are 5/8 bolts.

Follow the L shaped bracket to under the pump where there is another bolt that tightens the bracket to the pump. The bolt comes up into the bottom of the pump from the bilge side. If you cant get it loose take the 2 5/8 bolts out and remove the hoses.

IF YOU HAVE REMOVED THE 3 BOLTS THAT ARE CONNECTING THE PUMP TO THE CHROME PULLEY AND THE BOLT UNDER THE PUMP AND THE 2 5/8 BOLTS THAT HOLD ON THE L SHAPED BRACKET ALONG WITH THE 2 HOSES YOU CAN YANK THE HELL OUT OF IT. YOU WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING.

Dont use heat but get a hammer and tap on it. You probably did not have all of the bolts taken out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM
TT Newbie

thanks Kyle. I got it out tonight. I did have all the bolts removed. The pump sits recessed into the pulley and overtime, water must have sat in there, rusted, and eventually created a bond between the pump and pulley. I did have to use a bit of heat but it came out some prying. I took the pulley out as well and got it nice and cleaned up before reinstalling.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Oh

Buy a new pump.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
I guess I'm a little slow on the pump removal steps...need pictures!

Here's a pic of my water pump. Looking at the front of the engine I removed the left bolt (#1) holding the L bracket. Not sure you need to remove the other bolt (#2) that holds the right side of the L bracket to the bottom of the pump if the pump just slides off the shaft? Or does the bottom bolt (#2) tighten against the shaft?

If I do not remove the bottom bolt (#2), should the pump slide off the shaft or do you have to remove that bolt and/or the 3 hex bolts that attach the pump to the pulley?

In the pic, I removed the left bracket bolt and pushed the left side of the bracket up towards the vertical to see if there were any other bolts except the one holding the bracket to the bottom of the pump. I gave the pump a tug, but nothing moved. Wanted to ask the all the questions above before I yanked any harder...tks, mac
Attached Images

2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012