Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
They look like they will cut your feet.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Please send me pics when you get them installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak View Post
I am tentatively planning to do the same thing for cosmetic reasons only. Do you have the stock rubber dealios now? Let me know how it goes.
JF, I do currently have the rubber dealios now. I also want to put dual exhaust and stainless tips on my Avalanche but have not pulled that trigger yet. I am updating the boat with new speakers and stereo this year so why not these awesome looking exhaust tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow78mc View Post
They look like they will cut your feet.
Yellow78mc, Well yeah, if you stick your feet way up under the platform. But if you know their there, and you warn people they are there, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Please send me pics when you get them installed.
Kyle, Will do when I pull the trigger. Right now they are on backorder and here is the information I got from Rex Marine. Good response so far.

"Thanks for your interest in Rex Marine Products. Your price on 2 SST142F tips would be $229.94. Shipping would be about $12.00. I don't have tips in stock at the moment, but we could put a set on back order for you if you would like."
"That price is tips with flappers. We have a 5 year warranty on the flappers. It is almost impossible for them to come out."

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 AM
MC Maniac

The exhaust hose we have is 3" OD. What is the inside size 2 1/2" or 2 7/8"?

Hardin Marine has some that look the same. They have the same advertising for the product. I measured my pipe when I took the mufflers out while doing some projects. Just did not measure inside. I am thinking its closer to 2 1/2".

The part number you showed me may not fit our exhaust hose. I am interested in more information.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 AM
MC Maniac

My mufflers are also out of my boat right now. If need be I can go measure them and know exactly what size the inlet to the muffler is. Only thing is that they are 30 min away form me right now. I will be at the barn probably later this week. I can measure them for you if you like.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:

Hardin Marine has some that look the same. They have the same advertising for the product. I measured my pipe when I took the mufflers out while doing some projects. Just did not measure inside. I am thinking its closer to 2 1/2".

The part number you showed me may not fit our exhaust hose. I am interested in more information.
Quote:
My mufflers are also out of my boat right now. If need be I can go measure them and know exactly what size the inlet to the muffler is. Only thing is that they are 30 min away form me right now. I will be at the barn probably later this week. I can measure them for you if you like.
Kyle, how is the pricing of the Hardin units?
Also, I will need to check on the actual diameter of the inlet vs the outlet. I know when I replaced my rubber flappers they were considered 4" and I checked again last night and they are 4". However, I need to lift up the floor or pull the existing and check the muffler connection point to verify that diameter. I will see what I can do to measure those before the weekend so you don't have too. But if I can't accomplish that before the weekend I don't have any time over the weekend.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Question hose size

Quote:

I have a 94 prostar 205. The hose is 3" i.d. (inside dimension). The muffler inlet/outlet, starts at about 2 7/8" o.d., then increases in dimension. (for proper sealing)

To comfirm, I measured my old mufflers and a piece of exhaust hose.

good luck.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
I have a 94 prostar 205. The hose is 3" i.d. (inside dimension). The muffler inlet/outlet, starts at about 2 7/8" o.d., then increases in dimension. (for proper sealing)

To comfirm, I measured my old mufflers and a piece of exhaust hose.

good luck.
Man, I am scratching my head now. So the tip I need is a 3" diameter unit? Any idea how this unit attaches to the boat and the size of the pipe outside? Because I know the diameter on the outside of the boat is more like 4". I guess I will need to pull off the flapper and put a tape measure by it and snap a picture. I do not doubt what you guys say is true but I am seeing it from the outside and am confused...

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Man, I am scratching my head now. So the tip I need is a 3" diameter unit? Any idea how this unit attaches to the boat and the size of the pipe outside? Because I know the diameter on the outside of the boat is more like 4". I guess I will need to pull off the flapper and put a tape measure by it and snap a picture. I do not doubt what you guys say is true but I am seeing it from the outside and am confused...
You're lucky, I keep my boat handy. 3" ( http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JMS32-05018) Yes, our exhaust tips, actually reduce to a smaller internal (i.d.), maybe to 2 7/8". New boats, do the opposite.

I'm assuming, the hole through the hull is slightly larger than 3" If someone, is going to internal flappers (flappers take up space), would have to go to 3.5 or 4", that reduces to 3" pipe.

Note: Be mindful of the external exhaust tip flange. Some are pretty big, and may have to be cut down. Use VERY good sealant. You will have to seal all screw holes, then redrill for new tips.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
MC Maniac

Well I was wrong. The rubber exhaust dealios are 3" according to the pictures I just took during my lunch hour (see below - The measurement was taken from an angle so it may look smaller than 3", but the rubber dealio is 3"). So it seems to me that a 3" unit would work all the way through, since ETDUC says the exhaust pipe has a 3" I.D. Of course these tips come with fewer screw holes so like ETDUC says, the existing holes will need to be sealed prior to putting the new one on.
Maybe this is more trouble than its worth.

Price: Now that we know we are using a 3" dia unit, I don't see one on the Rex site, only reducers, so I will have to email them. Hardin has the 3" units with rubber flappers. Hardin did tell me:

"I can tell you that manufactures recommendations are that if the exhaust tip is within 12" of the waterline which I believe yours is that you should run two flaps a internal and external. That being said the angle tip will not accommodate an external flap. Don't get me wrong you can buy any tip you chose I just want you to know some facts

All of our tips are build with a serviceable rubber flaps that should be replaced during annual services. For years we built tips with stainless butterfly style flaps but the "Clanking and banging" sounds caused by stainless flaps lead to extreme customer complaints and caused us to cancel that design. As for flaps falling out we do not experience that, we invested hundreds of hours in not only the compound but the flap cage design when this product was designed. The sure fire way to kill any rubber flap is extensive heat without water. If you plan to run the boat dry for extensive periods of time that's the only sure fire way to kill the flap.

The external flaps are just added protection against water surges when the engines off"
Attached Images

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar