Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercrart Maristar 210 1990
Best of Both Worlds

I have a 1990 Maristar 210. I would like to put a boom on it this summer to help teach my kids and others in the neighborhood. I would like to use it in conjunction with a flyhigh/skylon type pole with a rack, but I am not looking to add a tower. I have a bimini with the zippered hole for the pole. My question for you guys... Does such a thing exist? The boat will be crowded with a boom, so I need to get skis and boards up out of the way. I have looked and I am not sure you can attach a boom to the pole. Sue gave me a site that had a boom that converted to a pole (which is a good idea), but not the combination. I REALLY need both. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw View Post
I have a 1990 Maristar 210. I would like to put a boom on it this summer to help teach my kids and others in the neighborhood. I would like to use it in conjunction with a flyhigh/skylon type pole with a rack, but I am not looking to add a tower. I have a bimini with the zippered hole for the pole. My question for you guys... Does such a thing exist? The boat will be crowded with a boom, so I need to get skis and boards up out of the way. I have looked and I am not sure you can attach a boom to the pole. Sue gave me a site that had a boom that converted to a pole (which is a good idea), but not the combination. I REALLY need both. Any ideas?
Actually I have one of those combo units I would let go of cheap........ around $100 + shipping
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Your kidding! PM sent

Last edited by cmw; 01-28-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Your kidding! PM sent
sorry to get you so excited...sent you a reply via PM
Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

I've been looking for awhile. Starting to get discouraged.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
I've been looking for awhile. Starting to get discouraged.
I would think that a Fly High would work in conjunction with a Barefoot International Boom with the adjustable mount...........then again you could just buy mine
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Mag I'd be interested in yours. PM sent
Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
I use the BI boom at the same time with the Fly High extended pylon on my 98 Prostar. Both work really well in that configuration. Give Mike Siepel a call at BI regarding which boom will fit your boat. He may have recomendations for you, at least he did for my boat. I opted to put the extension on my boom which moves the skier away from the spray at slower boat speeds.

I have been teaching friends and there kids to ski all my life and must admit the learning curve is faster when you can start them on the boom, move to the short rope and handle then move to long line.

I don't have a board rack on my extended pylon and quite frankly can't see wanting to use one. Seems like the rope would get caught up in it in my opinion...
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1998 30th Anniversary Edition LT1
You will need to add the BI adapter to run both. The basic boom mount was too small to fit over the fly high pole. I guess you could get longer grade 8 bolts for the regular ski pole boom mount, but I thought that might weaken the design. I also liked the idea of the boom being connected to something glassed in the boat rather than floating on top of the ski pole. The nice thing about the adapter is you can change the height of the boom for different sized riders. This is especially nice for the smaller kids or basketball players. You can see the mount and adapter in the pic. I just slide the fly high pole on above this setup and it is ready to roll. I wish I had a boom growing up--I would have saved my father a load of gas trying to teach me to ski.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2010, 03:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1998 30th Anniversary Edition LT1
One more thing, I also have the board rack on the fly high pole. Your rope will get caught on the boards. The rack is adjustable, but if you mount it too low then it will definitely be in your way while driving which is a bigger safety issue than the rope getting caught. I try to only take one board out at a time so I don't have to keep unhooking from the bindings and rack. On a positive note, if it gets really hot and you don't have a bimini top, just stick a couple of wakeboards up there and you have instant shade.