Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-9
Leaking Oil Pan

First off I have a 2001 MC X9 with the Indmar LTR 330HP engine. Shown in the pics..

I keep my boat in my garage and I found a puddle of oil under it. Seems to be a slow leak since the boat has been stored awhile and it still had 3/4 full oil left. The drips are coming directly off of the oil drain plug, which I have fitted with an adapter and hose, so I can drain the oil through the bilge drain hole. This same adapter and hose hangs down from the oil pan about an inch. So it always sits in any water I may have in the bilge area. I can see that the fitting is pretty well corroded and the washers separating it from the oil pan are pretty much disintegrating as I loosen the bolt (This is where I'm guessing the leaking oil is coming from). BUT, feeling around the oil drain plug I was feeling bubbling underneath the powder coating. Which again, I'm pretty sure is rust corrosion. So I decided to drop the oil pan to see if it had corroded all the way through and was causing oil to leak out. From what I can gather, it is impossible to get the oil pan out from under the motor without pulling the whole motor (unless someone knows a trick). Here's some pictures from the INSIDE of the oil pan... the brown spot is obviously rust and the paint is chipping away, also in the upper left corner you can see the bubbling I'm talking about, that's the lowest part of the pan as it sits in the bilge.

So now my question is... should I replace the whole oil pan???? Mind you I'm doing my own repairs and if I have to pull the motor I'm going to be taking it to a shop to have them do it, which is going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Put the drain plug back in the pan and tighten. Place the removed pan on a level surface and fill the pan with water. See if it seeps out of the area that is corroded.
Water is thinner than oil, and if the pan corrosion is gone through, it will seep through quickly.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
TT Regular

Good idea, thanks. I had to order a new drain plug and hose system, since the other was too corroded. I'll be able to do that this weekend.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 PM
TT Regular

Do you think I should consider replacing it anyways? Just do to rust and paint flaking inside the pan? Or do you think it will last a few years???
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Test it first. Then determine the correct action.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
I had a friend who's Malibu Skier had a gross leak on the oil pan due to surface rust. Thanks to about and hour of sanding and 4 tubes of JB Weld it is still holding oil and running 4 years later. If you can clean that pan up where the leak is coming from, sand off any paint, and glob on enough JB Weld, you will be back in business. I can't wait to hear the responses on this from the maitenance experts on this site , but it worked on the Malibu. As a matter of fact, that is a great remedy for any surface rust noted on the oil pan. I just found a spot on my 93's pan and proactively sanded and JB welded it.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
My question is not whether to replace the oil pan, but HOW did you get pics INSIDE it? And why is there not any oil still left around the drain plug threads?

Otherwise, yeah, pull the motor to replace the pan.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 AM
TT Regular

Haha. Taking pics was tricky. Had to use the macro setting on my camera and stick my hand in there blindly. After I wiped out all the remaining oil with a rag of course. Took forever.

I'll be doing the water test next week to see where I stand. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDave View Post
I had a friend who's Malibu Skier had a gross leak on the oil pan due to surface rust. Thanks to about and hour of sanding and 4 tubes of JB Weld it is still holding oil and running 4 years later. If you can clean that pan up where the leak is coming from, sand off any paint, and glob on enough JB Weld, you will be back in business. I can't wait to hear the responses on this from the maitenance experts on this site , but it worked on the Malibu. As a matter of fact, that is a great remedy for any surface rust noted on the oil pan. I just found a spot on my 93's pan and proactively sanded and JB welded it.
jb weld should be a good fix with the right prepwork :-). But tk give some background info; I did oxyweld the oil pan on my car, and the sad part is the car did not leak any oil till I replaced it with a new Canton road race pan.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM
TT Regular

Ok so the oil pan doesn't leak. But I have to replace 2 washers on the oil drain hose that connects into the pan. The old washers looked to be rubber centered with a steel outside. I want to replace them with stainless steel washers but I'm afraid it will leak. Should I use the white nylon washers?or will those corrode too fast?