Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Mosaic13 Mosaic13 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: 2004 210 VRS (X10) w/Indmar 350 (MCX)
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58
Follow up prop story/question

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread asking for thoughts as to whether I should get my seemingly slightly damaged prop repaired (see pics attached) or go with the dealership's recommendation to get a new one. In addition I was apparently dealing with a bent strut. Anyway, while the dealer had the prop on order I went ahead and sent my prop right to the source...OJ Propellers. From my description they seemed to be confident it would be repairable. Well, as it turns out it wasn't. Although the bend didn't look serious at first the way the drift wood hit the prop just right bent it all the way to the hub. That's coming right from Eric Johnson at OJ. Also, the strut was bent ever so slighty but it was visable, even to me (see attached pic right below where the strut attaches to the hull).

It wasn't long ago that MARISTAR210 posted his experience in thinking he had replaced his bent prop and all was well, only to find out 20 hours later that the shaft was slighty bent and had caused all sorts of problems in the drivetrain. Had I not learned from Steve's experience I could've been in the same boat (no pun intended).

SO, HOW IS THAT ANYBODY CAN SWAP OUT A BENT PROP with any D or V drive boat without heading to the shop to first find out if other damage was done. I'm not questioning anybody's judgment here, believe me. I'm just trying to learn.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Granite_33's Avatar
Granite_33 Granite_33 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: X-9
Location: 20 min from the Big House
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic13

SO, HOW IS THAT ANYBODY CAN SWAP OUT A BENT PROP with any D or V drive boat without heading to the shop to first find out if other damage was done. I'm not questioning anybody's judgment here, believe me. I'm just trying to learn.
One can only assume that only the prop gives way and the rest of the running gear was untouched......your driftwood turned out to be more like a drift LOG!!

I consider myself lucky that my two dingers were at very low RPM's. Call that my determining factor.
I did do checks just to assure that the shaft would still turn with the same effort, did a quick check for a visible bend in the shaft and strut.

Had it been worse but non - detectible, it definitely would have caught up with me.

I have found, though that as I accumulate more and more hours driving my boat, I know what sounds it supposed to make, and what sounds it is not supposed to make.......(belt squeals, vibrations, engine knocks, etc.) That is all I go with......
__________________
04' X-9.
91' Maristar 210.
The bad thing about boats, is when they break, they break expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 PM
smhelms smhelms is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9
You know, I agree with what you are saying. I had a similar issue happen a couple of weeks ago where I drifted into some rocks while loading out one day. It wasn't in gear but I ended up bending the tips of two blades.

I took the boat to the dealer because I had the same concerns, they checked everything out (drive shaft and strut) and everything seems to be in balance. I took the prop to a local specialist and they straightened the blades and balanced the prop.

Nonetheless, this being the first MC I've owned and experience like that I didn't know what to expect.

Things are put back together and it appears to run out fine. Maybe I'm paranoid now but I notice every little thing, especially a vibration on take off that goes away at about 10 mph.

I'm curious, what did you end up doing about the strut? Did you have to do anything with the drive shaft? n
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Do a T.I.R. on each end of the shaft. That will identify an out of round, warped, bent, etc shaft. From that figure if it's out, it's doing wear and tear somewhere to something on either or both ends of the shaft.

You can perform the TIR with very little effort, everything in tact.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Mosaic13 Mosaic13 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: 2004 210 VRS (X10) w/Indmar 350 (MCX)
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhelms
I'm curious, what did you end up doing about the strut? Did you have to do anything with the drive shaft? n

The strut had to go. It was a minor tweak right up at the top but like I said I could see it myself. Definitely not something to fool around with or take a chance. The shaft, however, did not sustain any damage and is fine. Once all the work was done they put it in the tank and tried it out and everything is now back to normal.

I should also say that, despite my apprehension about the information that I was getting from JOA, although poorly worded in a few cases everything they told me proved to be true. Not only that, but once they got the parts (2 days) the turned around the strut, the 50 hour and the water test in three days. Not bad. They're not cheap! Definitely not cheap. But I think they do good work most of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
So yer up and running, no?? Good deal.

I had a tracking fin to get out of whack once. It drove me nuts until I replaced it. Seems the smallest things considered can be the biggest pains....

Again, glad yEr up and running.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 AM
BrianM's Avatar
BrianM BrianM is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic13
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread asking for thoughts as to whether I should get my seemingly slightly damaged prop repaired (see pics attached) or go with the dealership's recommendation to get a new one. In addition I was apparently dealing with a bent strut. Anyway, while the dealer had the prop on order I went ahead and sent my prop right to the source...OJ Propellers. From my description they seemed to be confident it would be repairable. Well, as it turns out it wasn't. Although the bend didn't look serious at first the way the drift wood hit the prop just right bent it all the way to the hub. That's coming right from Eric Johnson at OJ. Also, the strut was bent ever so slighty but it was visable, even to me (see attached pic right below where the strut attaches to the hull).
Is the dealer ordering you up a new XMP or Acme. If not tell them to send it back. Call Eric at OJ back up and tell him to send you an XMP for your application. The performance difference over the old forged prop will amaze you.
__________________


1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Mosaic13 Mosaic13 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: 2004 210 VRS (X10) w/Indmar 350 (MCX)
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Is the dealer ordering you up a new XMP or Acme. If not tell them to send it back. Call Eric at OJ back up and tell him to send you an XMP for your application. The performance difference over the old forged prop will amaze you.
Actually already have the prop (and the boat). It's an OJ XMP 13.7 x 17 which according to Eric is the right prop for my app. Getting her waxed up and ready to go. FRIDAY AFTERNOON IS ALMOST HERE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,299
Did you ever find out what was up with the dealer telling you it "milled its own props?" Sorry they couldn't fix it for you. I guess I was fortunate that the damage to my prop last year was far enough from the hub so as to make it repairable. Good luck with your new running gear.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Mosaic13 Mosaic13 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: 2004 210 VRS (X10) w/Indmar 350 (MCX)
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic13
I should also say that, despite my apprehension about the information that I was getting from JOA, although poorly worded in a few cases everything they told me proved to be true.
That's what I meant by the quote above...when I questioned this the guy explained that although the OEM for all MC lines is OJ, MC sends them to the dealership under it's own part number. I rolled my eyes at that one, because it was an obvious attempt to get me to NOT go directly to OJ to buy the prop. However, since Ski Safe picked up roughly 40% of the total (plus the boat has only 41 hours and I want the dealership to be fully responsible for the work) I just let it slide. Again though, it does speak to the oft repeated complaints about the truthfulness and integrity of various MC dealerships. They'd get a lot more business from loyal MC owners if they would just be straight with people. They're too clever (or so they think) for their own good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 AM.