Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Pro Star 190
Hamstring question

I pulled my hamstring last fall (middle of September) when I fell skiing. The injury was right where muscle connects to my pelvis bone. I worked a lot on ice, stretching, and later strengthening. I don't even think about it when I walk or do normal activities, but I still feel it some after things like an aerobic workout on my recumbent bike and then stretches. Can anyone tell me how long it will be until I don't feel it anymore? If I still feel it after exercise, what is the risk of re-injury next spring when I start to ski again?

If you're bored and looking for something to do you may want to visit this link and see some of my photos. I'm frequently adding new things.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None, but looking
I can't speak to your specific injury, but I still suffer from the effects from pulling a calf muscle playing soccer about 15 years ago. I was in great shape at the time, but most of my conditioning was from cycling and distance running. I think the pull was because I had not done enough sprint work leading up to soccer season.

Anyway, when I first pulled it I took a break for about a month and followed the doctor's instructions for ice at first, then heat, then stretching until it felt like I had recovered. When I tried to play again it pulled even worse and I felt something tear. This muscle still bothers me some if I try to run long distance or try sprinting.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None, but looking
Thought of a few more things. If it's still bothering and you haven't seen a doctor, it might be worth a trip. Also, in addition to the aerobics and stretching, it might be beneficial to add some strength training. Cycling doesn't work the hamstrings very much...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Skipper

To prevent further injuries, be sure to stretch before skiing. We stretch before playing football, running track and field events, and every other sport. Skiing is no different. A good hamstring stretch is to lie flat on your back and raise one leg straight up while pulling lightly toward your chest.

As far as how long do you have to keep felling the pain...that can go on for a long time. I have a handful of sports injuries and other injuries that tend to irritate me more in the cold.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Pro Star 190
Thanks Piper Chuck and Skipper.

If you're bored and looking for something to do you may want to visit this link and see some of my photos. I'm frequently adding new things.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar190 1992
I tore my hamstring skiing three years ago also in september, I should have had surgery but didn`t now have a slight ball in my left leg were the hamstring ligament is detached and curled up. don`t notice it to much now as far as everyday routine. but running and skating can notice my left hamstring is weeker than the right. I would recommend alot of strength trianing, squats, leg curals and dead lifts. Iam a gym guy so have alot of muscle mass in my legs to compensate for the torn hamstring. but since yours is just a pull and have been resting for a few months now and walking is fine, start building the muscle in the leg it doesn`t take much or that long just be consistant.