Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 Xstar, Ilmor 6.0
Did I break my prop shaft?

I think I broke my prop shaft but I'm not sure. Nothing looks wrong under the boat, but the shaft will move back and forth the only thing keeping it from sliding out is it can't get passed the rudder with the prop on. Inside the boat I can't see any damage and towards the boat past the coupling that lubes the shaft I can feel it turn if someone turns it from underneath. Is there a coupling or shear pin in there that broke or did I snap the shaft somewhere near the v-drive unit. Any advice, ideas? This is on an 06 Xstar.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
When you look at the end of the shaft, it should run through a coupling and have a big nut on it. Check to see if the nut is missing.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
TT Regular

A nut on the shaft behind that wheel that rotates by the gas tank? So I would be able to see it from under the seat where the cooler is? Or past the coupling thing that lubes the saft before it goes into the v-drive unit?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
There is no shear pin or other disconnect in the propshaft - it is a solid piece of steel from the prop nut to the coupling that bolts it to the v-drive. The shaft log (the hole through the bottom of the boat that the shaft goes through, including the short rubber hose and brass packing nut) is just a seal to keep water out of the boat; there is no coupling in there.

I believe you have a V-Drive; if it's anything like mine, you should be able to take out the rear seat and see the back side of the transmission (the side opposite the engine). The Prop shaft coupler is visible on this side of the transmission; find it. This is probably the "wheel that rotates by the gas tank" that you describe it - the top end of the prop shaft is bolted to one half of the coupler (similar to the way the prop is bolted to the other end), and the other half of the coupler is attached to the transmission.

/frank

Good luck,

/frank

Last edited by FrankSchwab; 04-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

The shaft should stick out an inch or so past the coupling and there should be an nut on the end of it. Yes, you should be able to see the nut when you remove the cooler.

If you push the shaft back into the boat, do you see the threads on the end of it?

At least this is how it is on my 03 x-2 and every other v-drive I've seen.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
TT Regular

Not at the boat now, but that nut was for sure not there last night when I looked. I'll have to see if I can push it up and see the threads when I get home. If I push it in I don't see the threads I can probably assume it's broken?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

The nut may have just came off. Here is a link to the picture of the threads.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...73&postcount=2
Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Let me know if you have to pull the drive shaft and need to borrow a drive shaft puller.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
TT Regular

Thanks man!! I'm checking at lunch.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2-SS
The nut came off mine last November.Took it back to my dealer and they covered it under warranty,They replaced the shaft with a new design that keeps the nut on with a cotter pin.Mine is a 2007 X2.My good friends at Bay Area Watersports did the repairs.No cost to me.