Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
TT Newbie
Boat: Tristar 190 1987, Ford 351
1987 Tristar 190, Ford 351 Dash wiring

I'm a longtime reader, but a new poster.

I need a dashboard wiring diagram (or at least some resources) for a 1987 tristar 190. Not the engine wiring diagram. I have it, and that's actually good on this boat. I wrote to Mastercraft with no luck.

I've had the boat since 2009, but we finally pulled out the dash to look at the wiring this week. It had been rewired-badly at some point. Hot ends, wield clips, green for ground wires, unnecessary splices, etc. We're really lucky we hadn't had a fire or blown ourselves up.

My grandparents bought this boat new for us (cousins/siblings) when I was a kid. It had the classic used, abused, garaged and ignored pattern before I got my hands on it in 2009. My mechanic had it running in 2 hours with a new battery and starter. It was in pretty good shape aside from a series of electrical/starter/solenoid/ignition issues over the years before we finally hit on the solenoid being the culprit. Engine is solid. We blew the trans and had to have it replaced about 3 years ago. We're in the midwest, so short seasons and a lot of garage time.

My husband is actually decent with wiring, but any sort of diagram would help.

On another note, any advice on hull polishing or upholstery would be appreciated. There are some great threads here on the hull polishing.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM
TT Regular
Boat: 1987 MasterCraft Tristar 190, 351
I sure wish I could help because I need the same thing. I will be re-wiring my dash over the winter, so if neither of us find any diagrams before then, I will create one and share it. I don't think mine has been butchered up by previous owners, just wires and/or connections gone bad over time.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tristar190
I'd have to do some digging but I believe there is a schematic for the tristar in another thread. I looked at it when I redid my '89
Old 09-29-2015, 04:59 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Does this help and give you everything you need? Not just the dash, but shows gauges.

Sorry about the low res... It is how I got it though.
Attached Images
Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 PM
TT Regular
Boat: 1987 MasterCraft Tristar 190, 351
I actually have that one, and it's helpful, just doesn't include everything else in the dash. I don't think it will be all that difficult, but a complete diagram might save some time.