Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
I almost forgot to change the impeller on the raw water pump here is the old one. It would have made a mess if I keep it in.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxberger View Post
Jim, I downloaded TMCNo1 teak tutorial. Thanks. I keep getting side tracked, but today I'll at least get a picture of the condition its in now. I'll need to save up for the shipping and whatever you want for the material on the pads. I appreaciate it. When are we going to see the pics af the wet sanding progress?
OX, I will send my original combing pad for a templet to copy from it is just the wood. I marked them today so you would know what way to install them and cut the new ones. I can take a pic for so you can see them if you like.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars&Stripes, 351w, grey and blue
You've got tons of room in that shop and it looks like you've got the right tools for the right job. I'm envious. I have to do all my work outside. My fiance and I are getting married in September and all we're asking for is money and Home Depot gift cards. With that she's going to allow me to build up the tool arsenal. I don't think she knows, that I know, that her allowing me to do that is a roose so she can create honey do lists for me. They funny thing is, she doesn't realize I like that stuff as long as I have the right tools to do it.

Man, that impeller is rough and might have ruined your first day out!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Mastercraft prostar 200, Mercury 200
Jim that impeller looks rough!!!! Good thing you remembered, while your digging into her I would suggest if you havn't already change the thermostat too!!!!!!! The boat looks great... I'm hopefully gonna get mine ready to go for the water in a couple weeks, just got a few things left till its ready.... Waiting for my seat covers to get here!!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '93 Stars & Stripes
Ooooolala!

JP
Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '93 Stars & Stripes
I was noticing your windshield is different than other '79s. Was that part of the LTD package?

JP
Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubwall View Post
Jim that impeller looks rough!!!! Good thing you remembered, while your digging into her I would suggest if you havn't already change the thermostat too!!!!!!! The boat looks great... I'm hopefully gonna get mine ready to go for the water in a couple weeks, just got a few things left till its ready.... Waiting for my seat covers to get here!!!!!
jdubwall, There was no thermostat on the motor when I took it apart. It was the same way on my American skier. I didnt see a cout out where one had been should the motor have one on it???

jipster43, It was a stock "80" LTD windshield that came with the boat. On page 2,3 there is a wright up on the LTD in winter projects post by Markismm.

Last edited by americanskierJim; 06-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
MC Fanatic

All the underwater gear is on. I am glad that part is all done. I did some updating on the boat I will have to upload some pics tomorrow.

Ox, My Father and I own the body shop. There is a ton of room it will fit a school bus and 3 cars. I have every tool right at my fingers that I need. That is good news to hear that you are getting married soon. I like your way of thinking gift cards for tools you can never go wrong there.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Mastercraft prostar 200, Mercury 200
Not totally sure Jim, Its quite possible there weren't any on the engine.... Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I would say that there was one there originally (probably around 140 degrees)...but, when there isn't a thermostat, it is often due to a "home repair" to an overheat problem.

Judging by the condition of the raw water impeller that you took out, the PO wasn't exactly a high maintenance guy. That engine may have been running hot previously just because of the age of the impeller.