Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I traded a few emails with Martin Grebow Jr. from the Technical Department at PerTronix. Part of his explanation on the Ignitor I is as follows:

The Ignitor doesnít control any of the dwell. The dwell on the Ignitors are controlled by how we build the magnet sleeve. On Ignitors in marine application we recommend you keep the resister in line. Because you will need the resister to keep the coil cool.

He went on to say that if you install an Ignitor II, it does control the dwell and they recommend that you remove the ballast resistor.

My experience with there conversions have been strictly in the automotive field where heating the coil a little won't have any adverse effects. Just another illustration where this forum is an invaluable tool to anyone with a Mastercraft.

In addition, I questioned him about any difference in automotive vs. marine applications. Marvin explained we use the same part number on both automotive and marine application. If you are asking about the Ignitor needing a marine certification. It doesnít need one, because itís fitting into an already marine approved distributor

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Gekko GTR22 (but I'm a MC owner at heart)
Kudos to MrMC for getting to the bottom of that!!!!!!!!!!

Must have had the Ignitor II on my boat. My schematic definitely had the resistor removed. Never had any heating problems with my coil either.

Guess Amskrjim will need to leave his in......

BTW, great paint job on the motor Amskrjim. When I repainted my motor I went with blue and regretted it from the beginning. the silver/black looks great!
How about some more photos???? My mouth is watering for more of your great restoration!!!
Pleeeeeaaaaasssse......
P.......
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
Thank you MR.MC, For asking the question and getting a anwser about what I had to with the Ignitor I have. Now that we know anwser I feel alot better. I didnt do anything with the motor today it just sat in the corner and I was hoping I got the right one.

Pkreush, Thank you, I painted it royal blue and back at first(I have posted pic's near the start of the post) then a couple of the guy's where telling me to put it back to the orginal color. So I still had the oil cap with the right pewter/silver color. I grabbed some paint off my shelf and started to mix up something close and it is almost right on. I also like the black on it complments very well. I will get some more pic's posted soon.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Soon I will be putting the motor back in the boat along with the trans. Now should I use the threaded screw bolts that came off or should I go look for another mounting bolt with a nut backer to put it back in place??

Last edited by americanskierJim; 02-13-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
MC Fanatic

On my way tomorrow to get the new drive shaft and coupler at Marine Machine. I will get some pic's. Now I can start getting the motor ready to install.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanskierJim View Post
On my way tomorrow to get the new drive shaft and coupler at Marine Machine. I will get some pic's. Now I can start getting the motor ready to install.
I was just going to send you a PM to see if you had made any more progress.

Next winter I will definitely have my boat in a garage where I can work on it. This is driving me crazy.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Gekko GTR22 (but I'm a MC owner at heart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanskierJim View Post
Soon I will be putting the motor back in the boat along with the trans. Now should I use the threaded screw bolts that came off or should I go look for another mounting bolt with a nut backer to put it back in place??
Every ski boat I've owned has had either one or two of those lag screws stripped in the wood or the stringer cracked from improper pre-drill. My vote would be for a stainless blind nut type arrangement where you can pre drill the mounting holes through the stringer. You'll need to properly seal the hole with resin or something to prevent water damage to the stringer. It would be a great time to develop a better mounting system if your floor is still out. If not, it would be difficult getting behind the stringer.

Ready for more pics of the progress!!!

P........
Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Well here is the part's, I can start to get to work again on the boat. I also got the strut back today and it looks great. I can't wait untill this weekend to put it back on.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Sorry guy's I haven't be posting much I have been busy working . I will be working on the boat this weekend. I am going to getting the tranny ready for paint. I think I am going paint it black and drop it back in. While it is out should I chane the oil in it? I pulled the stick out and wow it is just like it came out of a new bottle. It dosen't feel broke down or smell bad what do you guys think I should do?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Paint it to match the engine!!!! That color is sick!
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)