Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: FLOATER
Boat Buddy vs. Bow Roller

The boat buddy has been a real pain for me. I have given up trying to drive onto the trailer and have it latch automatically. My wife puts it on the trailer and I hook up the winch and pull the boweye into the boat buddy and throw the latch manually. This naturally leaves plastic residue on the bow from dragging it through the "v". I am thinking of replacing the boat buddy with a 3 piece bow roller...Any thoughts?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:47 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
RackAtak, there will be countless opinions on this. Here are my

If you have new carpet on your v-block, the black marks are coming from your boat buddy. This was reason enough for me to go with a non-maring bow roller. But keep in mind that I have an open bow. With an open bow, I just walk to the front and crank up the winch when I pull the boat on. It's not too much trouble and I don't have to take acetone to my keel on a weekly basis.

If I had a closed bow boat, I would've gotten another boat buddy. Some will say that it offers extra protection should your winch break while towing (I was told not to leave it engaged). The MC manual online now says to leave it though.

I believe it was Dan who carpeted his. This will solve the black-mark problem if you can get it right.

One thing about the bow roller, you will need to thicken up your v-block bunks a bit because it causes the boat to sit a bit higher and I don't think it's such a good idea to have the very front of the boat supporting much, if any, weight.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:03 PM
MC Fanatic

I'm sure it's the boat buddy leaving the scuff marks. I watch them form as I crank up the winch. The marks come off easy enough, but I think rollers would cause less drag and marking, but the carpet idea is a good one also. When you say thicken up the "V" block bunks a bit, do you mean adding a couple pieces of 3/4 plywood or similar material? If I left the boat buddy on, is it going to cause gelcoat damage to my bow over time? Thanks for the feedback...
Old 08-17-2004, 11:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Why doesn't someone come up with a non-marring boat buddy?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Look at older MC boats with the Boat Buddy and see how bad the damage to the bow really is. Unless they came in extremely hot, the damage I have seen has always been very minor. If the wheels(front on a tandem axle) are just under water, getting the boat on and snapped into the Buddy is pretty easy. Depending on the angle of the launch you use most, the amount of the wheels that is under water may change. Practice. After a few sucesses, it's really not too hard. Soft plastic(unless it's dirty) will rarely cause a lot of damage to gelcoat, other than depositing some of the plastic. Acetone takes it off easily.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
I manually crank mine and it works fine for me. Watch out for slick ramps though! You would look silly falling on your keester.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
If you take some carpet, similar to the carpet on the bunks on your trailer, sand the boat buddy and clean with Acetone, place the carpet on the boat buddy and get a basic pattern and cut to fit. Spray the back of the carpet and the boat buddy with adhesive, when both are tacky, stick the carpet to the boat buddy. After it's dry, trim to perfection. Works like a champ. I just replaced the carpet on my trailer and did the boat buddy again. No marks on the bow at all.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for all the suggestions...I think I am going to try the carpet solution.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:29 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you get a good carpet pattern, let us know. A little late on this answer, but my original v-bunks were 1/2" composite, and I replaced them with 3/4" treated plywood. If they came out with a non-maring boat budy, I'd be all over it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Tournament Team Prostar 197
I've gone through 2 Boat Buddys (Buddies?) on my '95. The first failed after only 6 months, since the dealer told me to leave the pin latched while trailering. When I took it back with the pin worn in half, he replaced it and suggested that I not leave the pin in. Now 9 years later, the second one is worn out and doesn't trip properly. Yes, I've always had the black marks on the bow. I'll try the carpet idea, thanks!