Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Texas205

What prop for a 205?

I had a altercation between a rock and my prop and while they both suffered damage I believe my prop is terminal. I'll take this "opportunity" to replace the old stock 13x13 with a newer design 4 blade and I was curious what prop ya'll might recommend.

Boat: 1994 205, stock 350 engine
Use: General family activities, a little ski, a little tube, a little wakeboard and a little cruising around.

Please let me know some ideas, Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Contact Eric here, http://www.ojprops.com/ and he can aid you in get a prop that works for your requirements

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Don't get too stuck on getting a 4 blade. The new 3 blade CNC props are a huge improvement over the older 3 blades. Both ACME and OJ make great props and they can help you out with what is best for your application.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas205 View Post
I had a altercation between a rock and my prop and while they both suffered damage I believe my prop is terminal. I'll take this "opportunity" to replace the old stock 13x13 with a newer design 4 blade and I was curious what prop ya'll might recommend.

Use: General family activities, a little ski, a little tube, a little wakeboard and a little cruising around.

This might help. http://www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

Doug, did ALOT of testing. The boat he used, for the comparison, was a "93 205.

I have a '94 Prostar 205, with the standard engine. I use an Acme, (had it from another boat) Wouldn't hesitate, to buy a CNC OJ.

It is worth spending the extra $$ for the CNC versions.

What part of Texas?

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
This might help. http://www.easttxskier.com/proptest.html

Doug, did ALOT of testing. The boat he used, for the comparison, was a "93 205.

I have a '94 Prostar 205, with the standard engine. I use an Acme, (had it from another boat) Wouldn't hesitate, to buy a CNC OJ.

It is worth spending the extra $$ for the CNC versions.

What part of Texas?
You also should make note that those tests were done in 2005 according to the date in the link and technology has changed over the last 3 years and there may be other options out there today that weren't available then.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:

So, did we get a consensus on this? My dad has the same boat/engine and needs a new prop. I can get OJ Eric's opinion but also wanted to hear what other props besides OJ would work. Primary use: slalom, barefoot. thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 07:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs X2
I have the same boat and went from a stock 13x13 to an Acme 541 13x12, What a difference! Awesome prop!

I am sure you would find the same improvement from and OJ.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
You also should make note that those tests were done in 2005 according to the date in the link and technology has changed over the last 3 years and there may be other options out there today that weren't available then.
How specifically has the technology changed? I'd understand if you had said that, for instance, OJ is using more cup in its props than it may have in 2005. But as far as technology, to what are you referring?

Harold, please don't take this personally, but out of curiosity, have you ever run an Acme for comparison's sake? I've often, if not always, seen you refer people to OJ when they ask what brand. When I spent a fair amount of time testing the two brands, I thought each of the props in that test had its superior points over the other, and I believe Eric is a strong supporter of his product, but even with that first hand experience, I've often had a hard time recommending one over the other.

That said, you are correct. That test I spent a great deal of time performing and compiling for the nice people on this site is several years old. If the technology has changed in the prop world between now and then, it is certainly something to consider. But even in that instance, if a purchaser doesn't try both, he'll never know if what he ends up with is truly the best prop for him.

To the original poster and anyone else who is asking, I would recommend you contact both OJ and Acme and see if they still offer a trial period with a money back guarantee. The only way to really know what suits you best is to try them both. My $.02.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 12-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:

Welcome, and please keep us informed of your testing, results, and choice.

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I think TMC is sponshured by OJ!
Had a Acme 543 (I think) 13x11.5 on my '96 190. Huge difference from the 13x13 stock prop. It's billed as a high altitude prop, but does not over rev at low alt and the boat jumps out of the water. Sold it to a guy back east and he loves it too. Didn't lose any top end, but definately didn't gain any by pitching down, so probably not great for barefoot, but exceptional fo everything else.
That said, I'm looking for a new prop for my X2 and would consider both OJ and Acme equally.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN