Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Find A Pull / Give a Pull

Old 08-17-2004, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 197
Dale Hollow - Any one have any tips?

We are heading to Dale Hollow at the end of September with an Insta-Slalom and two towboats. We're renting a 110' house boat for the week. Wondering if there are any public courses on the lake, good places to set the course, good places to party and observe folk dancing. etc.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
I replied to another post about the slalom course. As far as having a good time. Be careful, the lake on the Kentucky side is Dry County. The Tennessee side is not. The WP is VERY strict with open containers.
The only party on the lake is your own for the most part. Not like Norris lake or the Ozarks where you can pull up to a dock and walk to the bar.
Have a great trip. It is a wonderful lake and will be pretty empty around late September. Good water will be everywhere. Wisdom is a nice dock. We have rented the cabin there in the past and you can't beat the price. When you pull out of the dock go the opposite way of the main channel, it will open up out of Idle and have about a 2 mile winding cove. If you leave Wisdom towards the main channel take the
first long cove on the right once you leave the idle zone. I think it Fannie Creek, in the very back is a slalom course. Food is good at Wisdom, Suplher and Sunset docks. If you are taking a course there are plenty of good coves to place. Two of the best spots are on the back side of Willow Grove, drive past the gas docks back to where the houseboats are docked. It will open up to a cove that is like having a private ski lake, wake wash is not a problem there. Also, down by Sunset, if you go under the bridge look for the first cove to your left, this cove will look like it goes straight and ends, it doesn't, turn left again and this cove (forget name) is like the size of a private lake with little wake wash. Nice thing about this cove is it's got a buoy at the entrace that shows a No Ski marking. It is there for the channel under the bridge, not the coves. This scares many people away. Again, for the time of year you are going you should not have a problem finding good water. Both of these sites are a goo haul from Wisdom. Hope you don't have the LQ9, I can tell you it will burn down your tank FAST.
Have a great trip and let me know if you need more info. I have been going there since I was a young child. I still make the trip annually from Orlando.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:01 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Just that name, Dale Hollow makes me want to go there. That post storm at Dale Hollow sounds like a movie.
About how far from Chicago is this place?
Any resort links that you could recommend?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Leroy

From Indianapolis it's an easy 5 hour drive. I consider CHicago 3 1/2 hour drive depending on where you are. I would guess ~7 1/2 hours
Old 08-26-2004, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Thnx Leroy, a bit far for me.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Thumbs up

It's a 12-13 hour drive for me pulling the boat, and well worth it. Give it a try sometime Stevo. You will not want to leave.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:57 AM
MC Maniac

Thanks guys, I guess the drive is not that bad. I am south of Chicago and only 2.5 hours from Indy. I just checked out the website, looks great! Looks like when we go, I should definately take the golf clubs and play Stonehenge. Can anyone make a resort recommendation that is on the lake and close to the course?

Last edited by stevo137; 08-27-2004 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Leroy

Stevo;
You're only disappointment will be not having enough time on this lake. It's the best lake I know of period! I think MC should have reunion on this lake next year!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Stevo.....Golf, play at the State Resort. I played twice over the week of the 4th. Be autiful course, fantastic condition, best of all $35 for cart and green fees. We drove the boat from Sulpher Creek which is a 15 minute ride, docked up and took the shuttle to the course. I would definately recommend the course. I have some pics if you want them.
Only downfall, was they do not have a driving range to get "warmed" up. Nothing like boating/skiing and golf!

Resorts.......There are quite a few. Sulpher Creek, Sunset, Eagle Cove are probably the best. Then, Wisdom and Wolf River. Sulpher Creek is the closest from Indy. You can jump off of 65 around Elizabethtown and run straight down 61 south to Burkesville. Road is a little curvy sometimes but not to bad. Saves 30-45 drive time on busy weekends.

If I remember correctly it was about a 4 1/2 drive from the Fishers area on the north side of Indy.

It is well worth a week vacation. Locals are nice and make you feel welcome. Even on the 4th you can find somewhere back in a cove with skiable water....if not glass.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Here is 1 of the holes.....maybe 13th....