Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
bennyboy

Oil drain hose replacement

So here's the deal, I'm new to TT and have a little problem. I've got an '89 barefoot 190 with the 454. The drain hose is leaking where it screws into the bid hex shaped lug that screws into the oil pan. It look too close to the hull to unscrew it from the oil pan. So my question is, is it possible to replace the hose without lifting the engine up. ( maybe a custom-bent wrench or something) Any input or experience with this sort of thing will be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
Can you tell where the leak is coming from? The connection between the fitting and the oil pan, the connection between the fitting and the hose or the hose itself. It is also possible that the oil is coming from a higher point (oil pan, heads, valve covers) and running down to the lowest point (hose) before you actually see a drip
Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Could also be the oil pan. I replaced my oil pan a few years ago on my 96 190. If you have a little water in the bilge all the time it will eventually create problems.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 285 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantamessa View Post
Could also be the oil pan. I replaced my oil pan a few years ago on my 96 190. If you have a little water in the bilge all the time it will eventually create problems.
Can you explain why water in the bilge causes oil pan leaks? Condensation over time?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago190 View Post
Can you explain why water in the bilge causes oil pan leaks? Condensation over time?
In my situation salt water probably had more to do with the corrosion. But if you take a look at your plug it's pretty close to the bilge area and any water sloshing around will hit that area first. After replacing my oil pan I committed myself to keeping a dry bilge. I even put in an auxiliary bilge pump in front of the pylon mount where a significant amount of water collects that the factory pump doesn't get.

Oh yeah, and i have one of those dripless shaft seals too.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
bennyboy

I still believe it's the oil hose and not the pan because, where the fitting that threads into the oil pan is crimped onto the hose, it looks like is has been pulled and strtched a little too hard at a 90* angle at some point because when you wiggle it back and forth a little bit of oil gushes out. By the way, the hose is just long enough to reach the drain hole in the hull so I wouldn't doubt this to be the cause. I also checked for other sources for the oil like the valve covers but turned up dry. Sounds like this is a pretty uncommon occurance around here! The big question is how do I replace it?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
I still believe it's the oil hose and not the pan because, where the fitting that threads into the oil pan is crimped onto the hose, it looks like is has been pulled and strtched a little too hard at a 90* angle at some point because when you wiggle it back and forth a little bit of oil gushes out. By the way, the hose is just long enough to reach the drain hole in the hull so I wouldn't doubt this to be the cause. I also checked for other sources for the oil like the valve covers but turned up dry. Sounds like this is a pretty uncommon occurance around here! The big question is how do I replace it?
If you can get the oil out of the pan and if you can remove the hose off the fitting and be able to remove the fitting after you saw/cut the angle part of the fitting from the pan somehow, have a new straight fitting made up with a longer hose to reach the bilge drain hole and with the cap on the end as it is now. Then next time, if there is a next time, you will be able to just screw out the straight fitting and hose without hitting the bilge because it is angled.
Why Indmar and others didn't use a straight fitting to start with in case it had or needed to be removed is beyond me.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.